Review plea in SC against dismissal of PIL on next Army Chief
New Delhi: A petition was on Tuesday filed in the Supreme Court by a former Naval Chief and top retired bureaucrats seeking review of its order dismissing a PIL challenging the appointment of Lt Gen Bikram Singh as the next Army Chief.
The review petition was filed against the April 23 order by which a bench comprising Justices R M Lodha and HL Gokhale had refused to interfere with government`s decision on the successor to Army Chief Gen VK Singh, who is to retire on May 31.
The petition contended that Centre had obtained the court order by "misrepresenting" facts.
Advocate Kamini Jaiswal, through whom the petition was filed, said, "there was a suppression of material and misrepresentation of facts" when the PIL was dismissed.
The apex court had dismissed the PIL after going through the confidential report of Lt Gen Bikram Singh.
It had said the government had considered various allegations against him before clearing his appointment and opined "there is no justifiable ground" for hearing the PIL challenging his appointment.
"We have carefully gone through the averments made in the petitions. We do not find any justifiable ground to entertain the petition," the bench had said.
It had said dismissal of the petition shall not affect any legal pending proceedings in court or any other forum in cases including an alleged encounter in Jammu and Kashmir.
The petitioners, including former Naval Chief Admiral L Ramdas and former Chief Election Commissioner N Gopalaswamy, have challenged the appointment by levelling various allegations against him including his role in the fake encounter in J&K in 2001 and his questionable role during a UN peace keeping mission in 2008 in Congo.
The government had on March 3 announced the appointment of Lt Gen Bikram Singh as the next Army chief.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read