Revisit warship building plans at Defence yards: Navy Chief
New Delhi: Upset over delays in warship
building schedules of Defence shipyards, Navy Chief Admiral
Nirmal Verma on Wednesday said there was a need to "revisit" the
"We need to revisit the building strategies of the
(Defence) shipyards. There is a need to do much more.
Construction schedule is where our shipyards lag. The reason
for delays is the basic method of construction (adopted by the
shipyards)," Verma told reporters here on the eve of Navy Day.
The Navy has currently given orders for 34 ships in
three different shipyards but the rate of delivery is only one
ship per year, he said.
Though his force had been the first to stress on
indigenisation, Verma said if the indigenous shipbuilding was
not meeting its needs, the Navy would be forced to go in for
The Navy has ordered ships with foreign shipyards in
the case of Talwar class frigates -- being built in Russia,
the Gorshkov aircraft carrier also from Russia and two Fleet
Tankers being built in Italy.
The Navy`s fleet strength was set to increase by 40
ships, and 60 aircraft and an equal number of helicopters. The
new orders would take the number of warships to 160 and
aircraft to about 290 within the next decade. It currently has
130 ships and another 190 aircraft and helicopters in service.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29