Reviving National herald an emotional issue for Congress: Dwivedi
New Delhi: The war of words between Subramanian Swamy and Congress party raged on Saturday.
Responding to allegations of "wrongdoing" levelled by the Janata Party chief against Congress president Sonia Gandhi and party general secretary Rahul Gandhi, Congress general secretary Janardan Dwivedi on today again defended providing an "interest-free loan" to Associated Journals Ltd.
"It is an emotional issue for us...only Congress will decide what is political activity for it and no other party," Dwivedi said.
"It (National Herald) was founded by Nehru to give strength to India`s freedom movement. Nehru belonged to the nation and was recognised as a world intellectual," said Dwivedi.
"The newspaper was launched to publicise views for which Nehru fought."
Taking a dig at Swamy, he said, "For us politics is not to mislead people but something which is connected to the philosophy of Mahatma Gandhi and Jawaharlal Nehru."
Earlier in the day, Swamy said he would urge the Election Commission to de-recognise the Congress for committing “loan crime”.
“Based on Congi confession of the loan crime yesterday I am filing a Petition today before ECI seeking De-recognition of Congi party.” Swamy had tweeted this morning.
The Associated Journals Limited published the now defunct National Herald and Quami Awaz.
National Herald was founded by Jawaharlal Nehru (who became India`s first prime minister in 1947) in 1937, and played a role in the freedom struggle, said the Congress.
Swamy had on Thursday alleged "wrongdoing" by Congress president Sonia Gandhi and party general secretary Rahul Gandhi vis-à-vis the takeover of Herald House in Delhi.
With IANS inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?