Reviving National herald an emotional issue for Congress: Dwivedi
New Delhi: The war of words between Subramanian Swamy and Congress party raged on Saturday.
Responding to allegations of "wrongdoing" levelled by the Janata Party chief against Congress president Sonia Gandhi and party general secretary Rahul Gandhi, Congress general secretary Janardan Dwivedi on today again defended providing an "interest-free loan" to Associated Journals Ltd.
"It is an emotional issue for us...only Congress will decide what is political activity for it and no other party," Dwivedi said.
"It (National Herald) was founded by Nehru to give strength to India`s freedom movement. Nehru belonged to the nation and was recognised as a world intellectual," said Dwivedi.
"The newspaper was launched to publicise views for which Nehru fought."
Taking a dig at Swamy, he said, "For us politics is not to mislead people but something which is connected to the philosophy of Mahatma Gandhi and Jawaharlal Nehru."
Earlier in the day, Swamy said he would urge the Election Commission to de-recognise the Congress for committing “loan crime”.
“Based on Congi confession of the loan crime yesterday I am filing a Petition today before ECI seeking De-recognition of Congi party.” Swamy had tweeted this morning.
The Associated Journals Limited published the now defunct National Herald and Quami Awaz.
National Herald was founded by Jawaharlal Nehru (who became India`s first prime minister in 1947) in 1937, and played a role in the freedom struggle, said the Congress.
Swamy had on Thursday alleged "wrongdoing" by Congress president Sonia Gandhi and party general secretary Rahul Gandhi vis-à-vis the takeover of Herald House in Delhi.
With IANS inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why