Rich tributes paid to Indira on death anniversary
Chandigarh/Jammu: Glowing tributes were paid to former Prime Minister Indira Gandhi on her 28th death anniversary on Wednesday by Congress leaders in Punjab and Jammu.
In Chandigarh, several party leaders paid floral tributes to Gandhi’s portrait in a function presided over by Punjab Congress Vice President Laal Singh.
A similar scene was seen in Jammu where several Congress Ministers, legislators and workers paid rich tributes to the departed leader.
Minister for Health Sham Lal Sharma, Minister for Revenue, Relief and Rehabilitation Raman Bhalla, MP Madan Lal Sharma and several other legislators paid their homage to the late Prime Minister at the Congress office in Jammu.
Speaking on the occasion, Sham Lal Sharma described Gandhi as "a real hero who made several sacrifices for the motherland".
"Martyrs never die and will remain in people`s heart," he said while asking political leaders, especially youth, to follow the footsteps of Gandhi.
The former prime minister was assassinated by her bodyguards on October 31, 1984, the same year when she had launched `Operation Blue Star` to crush secessionist movement in Punjab.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you