Rich tributes paid to Indira on death anniversary
Chandigarh/Jammu: Glowing tributes were paid to former Prime Minister Indira Gandhi on her 28th death anniversary on Wednesday by Congress leaders in Punjab and Jammu.
In Chandigarh, several party leaders paid floral tributes to Gandhi’s portrait in a function presided over by Punjab Congress Vice President Laal Singh.
A similar scene was seen in Jammu where several Congress Ministers, legislators and workers paid rich tributes to the departed leader.
Minister for Health Sham Lal Sharma, Minister for Revenue, Relief and Rehabilitation Raman Bhalla, MP Madan Lal Sharma and several other legislators paid their homage to the late Prime Minister at the Congress office in Jammu.
Speaking on the occasion, Sham Lal Sharma described Gandhi as "a real hero who made several sacrifices for the motherland".
"Martyrs never die and will remain in people`s heart," he said while asking political leaders, especially youth, to follow the footsteps of Gandhi.
The former prime minister was assassinated by her bodyguards on October 31, 1984, the same year when she had launched `Operation Blue Star` to crush secessionist movement in Punjab.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dope test scandal: After wrestler Narsingh Yadav, shot putter Inderjeet Singh tests positive for banned substance
- Historic solar flight marks first round-the-world journey
- Akshay Kumar’s avatar in John Abraham, Varun Dhawan starrer ‘Dishoom’ will surprise you– See pic
- Bangladesh police storm militant hideout, kill 9 Islamist extremists in Dhaka
- Anita Hassanandani, Rohit Reddy’s Maldives trip will give you vacation goals- See Pics