Rich tributes paid to Indira on death anniversary
Chandigarh/Jammu: Glowing tributes were paid to former Prime Minister Indira Gandhi on her 28th death anniversary on Wednesday by Congress leaders in Punjab and Jammu.
In Chandigarh, several party leaders paid floral tributes to Gandhi’s portrait in a function presided over by Punjab Congress Vice President Laal Singh.
A similar scene was seen in Jammu where several Congress Ministers, legislators and workers paid rich tributes to the departed leader.
Minister for Health Sham Lal Sharma, Minister for Revenue, Relief and Rehabilitation Raman Bhalla, MP Madan Lal Sharma and several other legislators paid their homage to the late Prime Minister at the Congress office in Jammu.
Speaking on the occasion, Sham Lal Sharma described Gandhi as "a real hero who made several sacrifices for the motherland".
"Martyrs never die and will remain in people`s heart," he said while asking political leaders, especially youth, to follow the footsteps of Gandhi.
The former prime minister was assassinated by her bodyguards on October 31, 1984, the same year when she had launched `Operation Blue Star` to crush secessionist movement in Punjab.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India