`Right to education must extend to the disabled`
Guwahati: The right to education is universal and must extend to all children, youth and adults, including people with disabilities, asserted Shampa Sengupta, an activist who has been striving for the issues related to disability rights.
Delivering a talk on disability rights in education on Saturday, Sengupta highlighted the appalling situation when it came to education facilities for children with disabilities.
In Assam especially, she said more than half of school dropouts were disabled students and many of them were discriminated against.
"On the one hand is the Sarva Shiksha Mission along with few private schools trying to admit some disabled children, and on the other we have schemes like Higher Education for Persons with Special Needs (HEPSN) by the UGC for their higher education," she said.
"Yet we find few disabled people included in the education system...Not just the students but the staffs and teachers of educational institutions are denied their rights on a regular basis. Duties and responsibilities of inclusion is on all of us", Sengupta pointed out.
The leading educationists and social activists present on the occasion discussed the actual achievement of the laws and policies that talk about inclusion of the disabled within the educational setups.
Shampa Sengupta is associated with Sruti Disability Rights Centre and West Bengal`s Paschim Banga Rajya Pratibandhi Sammelani, an affiliate of National Platform for the Rights of Disabled.
The talk on the topic "Inclusion in Education: Reality Check" was organised by the not-for-profit philanthropic organisation Foundation for Social Transformation (FST) operating across the seven states of the North East region.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation