`Right to education must extend to the disabled`
Guwahati: The right to education is universal and must extend to all children, youth and adults, including people with disabilities, asserted Shampa Sengupta, an activist who has been striving for the issues related to disability rights.
Delivering a talk on disability rights in education on Saturday, Sengupta highlighted the appalling situation when it came to education facilities for children with disabilities.
In Assam especially, she said more than half of school dropouts were disabled students and many of them were discriminated against.
"On the one hand is the Sarva Shiksha Mission along with few private schools trying to admit some disabled children, and on the other we have schemes like Higher Education for Persons with Special Needs (HEPSN) by the UGC for their higher education," she said.
"Yet we find few disabled people included in the education system...Not just the students but the staffs and teachers of educational institutions are denied their rights on a regular basis. Duties and responsibilities of inclusion is on all of us", Sengupta pointed out.
The leading educationists and social activists present on the occasion discussed the actual achievement of the laws and policies that talk about inclusion of the disabled within the educational setups.
Shampa Sengupta is associated with Sruti Disability Rights Centre and West Bengal`s Paschim Banga Rajya Pratibandhi Sammelani, an affiliate of National Platform for the Rights of Disabled.
The talk on the topic "Inclusion in Education: Reality Check" was organised by the not-for-profit philanthropic organisation Foundation for Social Transformation (FST) operating across the seven states of the North East region.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown