Right to info doesn`t apply to my office: CJI
New Delhi: Chief Justice of India K G Balakrishnan on Friday said that his office was out of the purview of the country`s transparency law, the Right to Information Act.
"The office of the chief justice is privy to so much of information like privileged communication between various constitutional authorities, complaints against judges etc. How can all this information be disclosed (under the RTI Act)?" he said in New Delhi.
He made the assertion when asked if the Supreme Court would withdraw its lawsuit from the Delhi High Court against the Central Information Commission (CIC) ruling on the disclosure of the judges` assets now that the apex court judges have decided to make their assets public
"It (the apex court`s lawsuit) has nothing to do with the disclosure of assets. The CIC had ruled that whatever information is with the chief justice has to be with the registrar," Balakrishnan said, adding it was "this aspect (of the CIC ruling) which we have challenged".
The Chief Justice said that the apex court`s registry might not have even an inkling of the majority of the information that his office might have on various issues, ranging from those linked to judicial appointments, to complaints against judges and much more.
Citing an example, he said that many a times, draft judgments written by a judge go to various other judges of the bench for vetting and approval.
"How can such draft judgments be disclosed before their pronouncement in the court room?" he asked.
Asked by when the details of the apex court judges` assets would be available on the court`s website, he said it might take "a month or so".
The Chief Justice said that the decision to make the apex court judges` assets public "was taken in changed circumstances."
But he laughed away a question as to whether the changed circumstances arose due to "mounting public pressure or the changes in judicial conscience".
On the prospect of various high courts following suit on the issue of making public the assets of their judges, the Balakrishnan said he would let the high courts taken their own decisions.
"Let them take their own decisions. I am told that the Delhi High Court is even meeting on the issue," he pointed out.
"The high courts are not under the administrative control of the Supreme Court. Only the Supreme Court`s judicial orders are binding upon them, not the administrative orders," Balakrishnan explained.
However, he lamented that some of the high courts in the country are yet to follow the Supreme Court`s example according to which its judges disclose their assets to the chief justice.
The high courts judges, too, were supposed to follow the apex court`s example and their judges were supposed to declare their assets to their respective chief justices.
Balakrishnan parried a question on the absence of women judges in the Supreme Court, saying: "The House of Lords had taken 100 years to find a woman judge."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015