‘Right to recall cannot be automatically accepted’
New Delhi: Law Minister Salman Khurshid
on Monday said the concept of right to recall of elected
representatives cannot be accepted in the country unless it
was made practical.
"I do not think in a large democracy like ours we cannot
automatically accept a right to recall unless we look at what
the implications are and it can be made practical," Khurshid
told reporters here.
He said the right to recall was an idea used in very few
democracies, particularly smaller ones.
"Can you recall the american president in the four-year
term that he has? You cannot. Can you recall a British MP? You
cannot," Khurshid said.
Soon after he ended his 12-day fast on the Lokpal issue,
Anna Hazare had said his fight would now be for Right to
Recall and Right to Reject as part of electoral reforms so
that corruption can be reduced.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zakir Naik's 'IRF' converted many to Islam?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part II
- AAP MP Bhagwant Mann writes to LS Speaker, seeks probe against PM Modi for jeopardising national security
- Boyfriend material! Five signs that prove he is the ideal one for you
- WWE Monday Night Raw results (July 25, 2016): Finn Balor earns shot at WWE Universal Title
- Mercedes to have petrol variants across portfolio in India by September
- Opposition alleges use of coercion, threats in RS polls in Jharkhand