Right to recall: Congress, Advani on same pitch
New Delhi: Congress on Saturday expressed its
endorsement of LK Advani`s opposition to Team Anna`s demand
for a right to recall elected representatives saying such a
measure is impossible in a country like India.
"Even Advani and BJP tend to speak sometimes correctly.
Congress leaders have been saying it for long, though any
final official opinion on it has not been taken by the party.
But many Congress leaders have voiced their opinion on it.
The idea (of right to recall) is not workable in a
country of the size of India. It is impossible. This is the
opinion of a large number of balanced people. I agree with
Advani," party spokesperson Abhishek Singhvi told reporters
His reaction came a day after Advani in Kolkata opposed
the demand saying it would lead to perpetual instability in
The BJP leader said the proposal for right to recall has
not been accepted in most countries except for a few small
nations. "I am opposed to this. In a huge country like India,
the right to recall will lead to perpetual instability,"
Advani told reporters there during his anti corruption rally.
Singhvi, at the same time took a swipe at the BJP leader
for cancelling his October 30 public rally in Bangalore
against the backdrop of former Chief Minister B S Yeddyurappa
landing in jail and some other BJP leaders coming under a
"Advani can cancel his rally in Bangalore how can he
erase the public memory of all that happened in the Karnataka
capital for last three years and that the strong symbol of
that (former Chief Minister B S Yeddyurappa) being in jail. I
donot think BJP or Advani can erase the invisible image of
Yeddyurappa.., which is imprinted on people`s mind, This will
continue to haunt Advani and BJP," Singhvi said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- Inactivated Polio Vaccine (IPV): A new tool in the fight against polio – Watch to know more about it!
- Planning a trip to USA? Check out top 5 attractions for a family holiday this summer!
- One killed in Sydney mall shooting
- Eva Mendes' brother Carlos loses cancer battle
- Swamy challenges expunging of comments in RS