Right to recall should be introduced: Somnath
New Delhi: The debate over right to recall
of public representatives today returned to political
centrestage with former Lok Sabha Speaker Somnath Chatterjee
expressing shock over the assault of an MLA in Maharashtra
"Right to Recall should be introduced in the country,"
Chatterjee said, noting that these types of incidents in
Assemblies and Parliament could be tackled by giving people
right to recall their representatives.
Asked whether this kind of suspension of four MNS members
for four years on the first day of the session was
unprecedented, he told PTI it could be possible, maintaining
that the situation warranted "strict action".
"I don`t want to go into the judgement of the members of
the legislatures. I don`t question their judgement," he said,
expressing concern over the incident when MNS members
allegedly assaulted SP MLA Abu Asim Azmi for taking oath in
Hindi instead of Marathi.
The former Speaker felt that people should "boycott" this
type of parties and representatives as their actions were
detrimental to democracy. "All political parties should think
what will be future of India if such things happen",
He said he has been advocating right to recall for long
but so far the issue has got no takers.
Senior Congress MP V Kishore Chandra Deo said the
suspension of four MNS legislators was "fully justified" and
the sequel of yesterday`s incident was connected with other
incidents happening in the state.
"This deserves stringent punishment," Deo, who in the
last Lok Sabha headed the Committee to go into the misconduct
of members, said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...
- Ryan child death: Sexual assault allegations should be probed, says Manish Sisodia