Right to reject more manageable: Khurshid
New Delhi: Law Minister Salman Khurshid
on Tuesday said the `Right to Reject` candidates during election
was a "more manageable idea" than the `Right to Recall` an
elected lawmaker which was a "difficult" proposition.
Referring to Team Anna`s proposals on the two issues,
Khurshid said some feel that before introducing the "Right to
Recall" managing the "Right to Elect" would be more helpful.
"I think the Right to Reject is a smaller and more
manageable idea but not entirely without problems. But the
Right to Recall is a larger and more difficult idea," Khurshid
told reporters here.
A cynic will perhaps say that the right to elect should
be perfected before the Right to Recall was talked about, he
said while noting that the voting percentages were still low
and many people were not able to vote due to various factors.
He said the people demanding the Right to Recall will
have to explain to the government under what circumstances and
in which manner a lawmaker should be recalled.
He said the Law Ministry has looked at various models of
the Right to Recall and the idea will be put before an
all-party meeting on electoral reforms to be held either this
month or in November.
Team Anna had also demanded the provisions for the Right
to Recall and the Right to Reject as part of the electoral
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC