RIL case: Reddy rejects BJP attack on PC
New Delhi: Oil Minister S Jaipal Reddy on Monday rejected senior BJP leader Murli Manohar Joshi`s attack on Home Minister P Chidambaram on the issue of CAG indictment of his ministry for alleged favours to private firms, saying such attacks would harm decision making at higher levels.
Dismissing criticism by Joshi, who is also the chairman of Public Accounts Committee, and CPM leader Sitaram Yechuri as baseless, he said the report of the Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) is a draft report to which the ministry will respond with an "open mind" in eight weeks time.
"By making this criticism, I am afraid they are prejudicing the process of objective examination by CAG," he said.
CAG after incorporating ministry`s comment will table the final report in Parliament after which it will go to PAC. "Why should such a senior member of Parliament be in such a haste?"
"It is not very edifying for a senior member like Joshi. He should leave the job to younger people in the party (BJP) and not indulge in this (kind of criticism)," Reddy said.
Joshi had on Friday attacked the government for alleged favours to companies like Reliance Industries and singled out Chidambaram, who was then Finance Minister, for the criticism. He had demanded Chidambram`s removal from the Cabinet.
Reddy said while the draft CAG report does not make any reference to the USD 4.20 per mmBtu price fixed for Reliance`s KG-D6 gas, Joshi has brought in "extraneous matter and singled out Chidambaram (for the decision due to) personal agenda”.
The gas price was fixed by an empowered group of ministers of which Chidambaram was part as the then Finance Minister. "If decisions taken by EGoM is to be criticised personally, then there is no shelter for ministers. Decisions taken in EGoM are
collective if such attacks are made, people will be afraid to take decisions."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA