Rise in communal violence after Narendra Modi govt came to power: Sonia Gandhi
Zee Media Bureau
Thiruvananthapuram: Congress president Sonia Gandhi on Tuesday attacked the Bharatiya Janata Party-led government at the Centre saying that ever since the party came to power there has been a spurt in communal violence across the country.
Taking on the BJP, the Congress president asserted that ever since the party came to power there has been a significant rise in communal violence in many states like Uttar Pradesh and Maharashtra.
"Communal violence took place in Uttar Pradesh and ... in Maharashtra also. These indeed are created deliberately to divide our society along religious lines, so we should do our bit to create a pluralistic society," said Gandhi, while addressing party leaders at the state Congress headquarters in the capital city.
The Congress president further hit out at the Modi government, saying the communal violence that broke out recently in Uttar Pradesh and Maharashtra was "created deliberately to divide our society".
Maintaining that such incidents are a cause of concern, Sonia said that during ten years of UPA rule there were hardly any cases of communal violence.
She also criticised the Modi government for its attitude towards the happenings at Gaza.
"In the Lok Sabha, we were unable to initiate a discussion, but in the Rajya Sabha we were able to take up the issue for discussion. We have always expressed our solidarity with the Palestinians. At the moment, the guns there have fallen silent," said Sonia.
In the last few months Uttar Pradesh has witnessed several cases of communal violence leading to the loss of many lives.
The BJP under the leadership of Narendra Modi registered a spectacular peroformance ion the Gneeral Elections and won 71 of the 80 Lok Sabha seats in Uttar Pradesh.
While the BJP won 71 Lok Sabha seats in Uttar Pradesh, its ally Apna Dal took two. The Samajwadi Party claimed just five seats. The Congress bagged the remaining two.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees