Rise in tourists from Bangladesh to India
New Delhi: Bangladesh continued to top the list of six neighbouring countries in terms of number of foreign tourists arriving in India, Rajya Sabha was informed on Wednesday.
Bangladesh held the apex position in this regard during the last three years.
A total of 1,139,238 people from six neighbouring countries Afghanistan, Nepal, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Bhutan and Bangladesh visited India in 2013, Tourism Minister Shripad Naik said in a written reply.
There were 4,63,543 visitors from Bangladesh in 2011 which increased to 4,87,397 in 2012 and the number increased to 5,24,923 in 2013.
Visitors from Pakistan also increased from 59,846 in 2012 to 1,11,794 in 2013.
However, as per Sri Lanka, 2,96,983 tourists came in 2012 which decreased to 2,62,345 in 2013.
Naik said the Tourism Ministry as part of its ongoing activities carry out media campaigns in the domestic and international markets under the `Incredible India` brand to promote various tourist destinations of the country and to increase foreign tourist arrivals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS