RJD MP seeks Bharat Ratna for Lohia, JP, Karpoori, Kanshi Ram
Patna: RJD MP Rajesh Ranjan alias Pappu Yadav on Thursday again demanded Bharat Ratna for veteran socialists leaders Rammanohar Lohia, Jayprakash Narayan, Karpoori Thakur and Dalit leader Kanshi Ram for their work for uplifting of the downtrodden.
In a statement, Yadav urged Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Union Home minister Rajnath Singh to consider seriously honouring these four personalities with the highest civilian award.
Yadav, who defeated JD(U) president Sharad Yadav from Madhepura Lok Sabha constituency, had first raised the matter in Parliament on August 13.
"Personalities like Rammanohar Lohia, Jayprakash Narayan, Karpoori Thakur and dalit leader Kanshi Ram should get highest honour for extraordinary contribution working for the downtrodden of society," the statement said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter