RK Sharma wants review of premature release policy
New Delhi: Shivani Bhatnagar murder convict Ravi Kant Sharma, who is serving a life sentence in Tihar Jail, has appealed to the National Human Rights Commission to
reform the policies of the State Sentence Review Board, constituted to deal with premature release cases.
In a 20-page letter to the NHRC authorities, Sharma has asked the body to include non-governmental representatives as board members and said they should meet more frequently for expediting the process of release of more and more convicts.
Constituted by the NHRC, the SSRB was tasked to review the sentence awarded to prisoners undergoing a life sentence. It is supposed to make recommendations to the Lieutenant Governor about premature release in appropriate cases of convicted prisoners who have served seven years.
Sharma claimed that Delhi Government had been unable to comply with the NHRC`s recommendations regarding premature release of life convicts and that there was lack of
implementation of the policies chalked out by the rights body which was affecting the lives of thousands of convicts.
"As per para 2 of the NHRC order the state board are held exclusively by government nominees who repeatedly keep executing their apathy and insensitivity in the process of
releasing the convict. As such I request you to reconstitute and strengthen the board by making non-government nominees its integral part. This will make the body sensitive and
responsive while processing of the case," the letter read.
The chief minister is the head of the SSRB. Other members include the Principal Secretary, Home Ministry, Commissioner of Police, Jail Superintendent amongst others.
Sharma has also requested to the NHRC that "the SSRB board members should meet once in a quarter or more frequently so that premature release cases are taken up on time and as per NHRC order."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says