Rlys announce ex-gratia for Doon Express victims
Kolkata: Railway minister Mukul Roy on Thursday announced ex-gratia of Rs five lakh for each of the families of the dead, Rs one lakh to the seriously injured and Rs 25,000 for those with simple injuries in the train accident near Jaunpur in Uttar Pradesh.
Four persons were killed and 15 others injured in the derailment of coaches of the Howrah-Dehradun Doon, Roy told reporters here.
Relief and rescue operations have been taken up in full swing at the accident site, he said.
He said that the divisional railway manager has rushed to the spot with senior railway officials and a relief train.
Describing the accident as very unfortunate, the railway minister said "Precious lives have been lost. The Railways will take serious steps to ascertain how it occurred."
Asked if it was a case of sabotage, the Railway minister said that a high-level probe has been ordered to ascertain the cause of the derailment which occurred during a countrywide bandh.
To a question, Roy said if the families of deceased passengers approached the Railways for a job, it would be considered.
The Railway minister said he would shortly leave for the accident spot.
Helplines have been opened at Howrah, Hajipur, Dhanbad, Mughalsarai, Bandel, Faizabad, Varanasi and and other stations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand