Road accidents new killer for CRPF jawans
New Delhi: The CRPF -- in the thick of the action in Naxal hotbeds of the country -- is facing a new threat to the lives of its troops -- alarming number of deaths in road accidents.
More than 100 CRPF troops have lost their lives in motor vehicle accidents during the last year while they were on leave, prompting the force headquarters and CRPF chief K Vijay Kumar to issue an advisory in this regard.
The alarming number of deaths of the personnel in road accidents can be gauged from the fact that only 29 Central Reserve Police Force personnel -- 26 in anti-Naxal operations and three in counter-insurgency operations -- were killed while on duty during 2011.
"More than 100 of my boys have lost their lives in road accidents during the last year. The life of every trooper is very precious and I am concerned over this," the CRPF Director General said.
Kumar has also asked senior officials and field commanders of the force to make aware their formations about the need to strictly adhere to traffic rules and ensure zero casualties on this front.
"One important point of concern that I would like to share with you is the large number of deaths of force personnel due to motor vehicle accidents during leave period. I notice an alarming trend in this.
"Your life is precious not only to the nation but also for your family members and hence you must understand your responsibility towards both and abide by traffic discipline and rules for your own safety," the DG wrote to his 2.5-lakh personnel strong force.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India