Road accidents new killer for CRPF jawans
New Delhi: The CRPF -- in the thick of the action in Naxal hotbeds of the country -- is facing a new threat to the lives of its troops -- alarming number of deaths in road accidents.
More than 100 CRPF troops have lost their lives in motor vehicle accidents during the last year while they were on leave, prompting the force headquarters and CRPF chief K Vijay Kumar to issue an advisory in this regard.
The alarming number of deaths of the personnel in road accidents can be gauged from the fact that only 29 Central Reserve Police Force personnel -- 26 in anti-Naxal operations and three in counter-insurgency operations -- were killed while on duty during 2011.
"More than 100 of my boys have lost their lives in road accidents during the last year. The life of every trooper is very precious and I am concerned over this," the CRPF Director General said.
Kumar has also asked senior officials and field commanders of the force to make aware their formations about the need to strictly adhere to traffic rules and ensure zero casualties on this front.
"One important point of concern that I would like to share with you is the large number of deaths of force personnel due to motor vehicle accidents during leave period. I notice an alarming trend in this.
"Your life is precious not only to the nation but also for your family members and hence you must understand your responsibility towards both and abide by traffic discipline and rules for your own safety," the DG wrote to his 2.5-lakh personnel strong force.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city