Roads along China border top priority: Manik Sarkar
Agartala: The Border Roads Organisation (BRO) has given top priority to constructing strategic roads along the China border, Tripura Chief Minister Manik Sarkar said Monday.
"The BRO has also agreed to take up roads along the Bangladesh border as these are equally crucial for India`s security," Sarkar told the Tripura assembly.
The Chief Minister Saturday met BRO director general Lt. Gen. MC Badhani Saturday and discussed the upgrading of border roads.
"The BRO chief told me that despite their highest commitment to build strategic roads along China, they would consider taking up the maintenance and development of border roads with Bangladesh," Sarkar said.
"Northeast in general and Arunachal Pradesh in particular have been given the highest importance for the development of road and bridge infrastructure. Around 2,770 km of roads, including border roads with China, are in various stages of construction by BRO," an official told a news agency on condition of anonymity.
Arunachal Pradesh shares a 1,030-km unfenced border with China.
Giving details of the upcoming plans concerning border management, Sarkar said the number of Border Outposts along the 856-km border with Tripura would be increased to 245 from the existing 208.
"If the border roads are not developed, there would be a serious security threat from both across the border and militants," Sarkar said.
Five Indian states - West Bengal, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Assam and Tripura - share the 4,095-km border with Bangladesh. These include a 2,979-km land border.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH