Romesh Sharma gets bail in copter grabbing case
New Delhi: Romesh Sharma, alleged front man
of underworld don Dawood Ibrahim, was Tuesday granted bail by the Delhi High Court after spending nearly 13 years in jail in
a case lodged for allegedly grabbing a helicopter and keeping
it at his farmhouse here.
Justice V K Shali allowed the bail plea of Sharma, who is
in jail since October 20, 1998, in connection with the case
and asked him to furnish a personal and two surety bonds of Rs
20 lakh each as a precondition for his release.
Besides the chopper grabbing case, Sharma is also facing trial in nearly a dozen criminal cases.
Sharma, in his bail application, said other co-accused
have already been granted bail and a suit filed by complainant
H Suresh Rao, alleged owner of the Bell-47 helicopter, has
been dismissed also by a civil court way back in 2002.
Rao had lodged an FIR with Delhi police in 1998 alleging
Sharma had hired his chopper for election campaign at Phulpur
in Uttar Pradesh during 1996 Lok Sabha polls and later he did
not return it and forcibly kept it in his farmhouse here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday