Rosaiah quits citing age, Kiran Reddy named new Andhra CM
Hyderabad: Kiran Kumar Reddy will be the new Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh after incumbent K Rosaiah resigned Wednesday in a surprise move as the ruling Congress
battles dissidence and prepares to tackle the potentially
volatile issue of a separate Telangana state.
On a day of fast-paced developments, 77-year-old
Rosaiah, the stop-gap Chief Minister who took over in the
aftermath of Y S Rajasekhara Reddy`s death in September last
year, resigned citing personal reasons.
Hours later, the Congress Legislature Party met and
authorised party chief Sonia Gandhi, who named Kiran Reddy,
currently Speaker of the Assembly, to succeed Rosaiah.
50-year-old Reddy hails from Rayalaseema region and
was elected from Pileru constituency in Chittoor district.
After a brief meeting of the CLP, which authorised
Gandhi to choose the new Chief Minister, top Congress
emissaries Pranab Mukherjee, A K Antony, Veerappa Moily and
Ghulam Nabi Azad met and discussed the issue with the Congress
"Congress President Smt. Sonia Gandhi has selected
Kiran Kumar Reddy as the new leader of the Congress
Legislature Party. He will be sworn-in tomorrow by the
Governor as the new Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh,"
Mukherjee said in a brief statement.
Out of the 156 Congress MLAs, over 140 MLAs attended
today`s meeting and they unanimously passed a resolution
authorising Sonia Gandhi.
At the meeting, a woman MLA Konda Sureka, a supporter
of belligerent Congress MP Y S Jaganmohan Reddy, got up to
raise the leadership issue but was persuaded not to do so.
Andhra to have Deputy CM
Andhra Pradesh will have a Deputy
Chief Minister from Telangana region.
Law Minister M Veerappa Moily, who was one of the
observers for the Congress Legislature Party meeting here
today, said "the Congress President has decided that Andhra
Pradesh will have a Deputy Chief Minister from the Telangana
The name for the post will be decided later, he said.
Congress President Sonia Gandhi, on being authorized by
CLP, has chosen Speaker Kiran Kumar Reddy to be the state`s
new Chief Minister.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi