Row over NCTC will be resolved, says Chidambaram
Bangalore: The Centre was addressing two issues over which some states have opposed the proposed National Counter Terrorism Centre (NCTC) and the row would be resolved, Union Home Minister P Chidambaram on Tuesday said.
A majority of state chief ministers had accepted NCTC and some other chief ministers have reservations over two issues saying it would infringe upon the states` powers, he told reporters here.
"Some chief ministers have flagged two points. One - Why the NCTC is located in the intelligence bureau and two - why it should be empowered with Section 43 (A) of the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act," he said.
Chidambaram said the government was addressing these two issues and a paper had been sent to the Cabinet Committee on Security and confident that all the chief ministers would be brought on board.
"Even Naresh Chandra Committee has categorically stated NCTC is imperative and we needed it in this country," he said.
The centre`s move has run into trouble after various non-Congress chief ministers including Jayalalithaa of Tamil Nadu, Narendra Modi of Gujarat, Mamata Banerjee of West Bengal, an ally of UPA, have opposed it.
On the maoists issue, Chidambaram said the CPI (Maoists) leadership`s grip over the cadres had loosened and "they do not enforce the kind of discipline they claim to".
"Like any other militant organisation, the CPI (Maoist) organisation is showing signs of stress and therefore all these atrocities are being committed," he said.
Chidambaram said it was "notorious" that women were being recruited as CPI Maoists cadre and exploited. The UN report showed that children had also been recruited.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Importance of viewers' comments and remarks on reported news
- DNA: Has PM Modi's mention of Balochistan during I-Day speech unsettled China?
- DNA: Why commuting by bus in India is an unpleasant experience
- DNA: Elderly couple forced to live separately after 62 years; images go viral
- DNA: Unhappy with stint in Rio, Kim Jong-un announces penalty for North Korean olympians
- Curfew lifted in Kashmir Valley, Rajnath Singh to head all-party team on Sept 4
- ISS astronaut Jeff Williams shares captivating image of the USA's west coast! - See pic
- Govt panel for chilli-filled grenades, stun lac shells as alternatives to pellet guns
- iPhone 7? Apple Inc sends out invite for September 7 'special event'
- John Kerry's cavalcade got stuck in traffic jam caused by heavy rains in New Delhi