Row over Taslima article; 2 newspapers’ offices attacked
Mangalore: Offices of a Kannada and an English
daily here were attacked on Tuesday by miscreants protesting
publication of an article by controversial Bangladeshi writer
The office of `Kannada Prabha`, which published the
translation of the article on `burqa` tradition purportedly
penned by exiled Nasreen, and that of an eveninger `Jai
Kirana` were targeted by the miscreants, police said.
The gang forced its way into the building housing the
office of New Indian Express and its sister publication
Kannada Prabha, which was being guarded by a few policemen,
threw a petrol bomb and threatened the staff with dire
consequences if it carried anymore "such offensive articles",
At least seven computers were damaged in the petrol bomb
attack on `Kannada Prabha`, they said.
The miscreants managed to flee the spot, they said.
Police have rushed to the spot and are investigating.
Miscreants also pelted stones at the Jai Kirana office.
The Kannada daily on Sunday had published the article,
sparking violence in Shimoga and Hassan towns. Two persons
died, including one in police firing, when the protest by
Muslims turned violent in Shimoga yesterday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mumbai Film City shoot-out: CCTV footage help police arrest assailants
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi