Row over Telangana youth`s body, official beaten
New Delhi: Pro-Telangana protests took an
ugly turn on Thursday with a TRS MLA allegedly beating up a senior
official of Andhra Pradesh Bhawan here after authorities
refused to allow inside their premises the body of a 23-year-
old who committed suicide yesterday upset over the delay in
the formation of a separate state.
High drama was witnessed at Ashoka Road, where the
Andhra Pradesh Bhawan is located, this afternoon when the TRS
MLAs led by T Harish Rao, nephew of party chief K
Chandrashekar Rao, barged into the office of senior official
Television footage showed Harish Rao beating up
Chander Rao after a long argument over why the authorities
refused to allow the body of Adhireddy, whose body was found
hanging from a tree near India Gate yesterday, inside the
Andhra Pradesh Bhawan.
Harish Rao and other TRS leaders engaged in a verbal
duel with Chander Rao, the Officer on Special Duty, for around
five minutes at the end of which he slapped him twice on his
Outside the Bhawan, Congress MPs led by Madhu Goud
Yaskhi and others staged a dharna and shouted slogans against
Chander Rao and the Resident Commissioner for "playing
politics" by not allowing permission for the body to be
brought inside the premises.
An official spokesperson of the Bhawan said the TRS
protesters barged into the Office of the Resident
Commissioner, ransacked the room and beat up Chander Rao
They also had a heated argument with Resident
Commissioner Rajat Bhargav and other officials present in the
Sources said the authorities of the Bhawan wrote to
Delhi Police asking them to directly transfer the body from
the Ram Mohar Lohia Hospital to the airport from where it was
to be flown to Hyderabad.
However, pro-Telangana activists wanted the body to be
brought to the Bhawan for public to pay respects. The sources
said the authorities took such a step to avoid any kind of
untoward incident inside the Bhawan given the tense situation
owing to the statehood demand.
Chandrasekar Rao`s son and TRS MLA Ramarao condemned
the "highhandedness" of the authorities and asked how the
Resident Commissioner could decide where the body should be
"Who is he to decide? The family of the youth will
decide where to take and where not to...," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part II
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part IV
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan?
- Don't know what item songs mean: Zareen Khan
- India has ability to target whole of Pakistan: Experts on AQ Khan's nuclear attack threat
- Riteish Deshmukh fulfills Madhuri Dixit's wish on TV show
- Kiran Bedi takes oath as Lieutenant Governor of Puducherry
- French Open 2016, Day 8: Muguruza, Rogers, Murray, Wawrinka into quarters