Roy new Rail Minister; will he rollback fares?
New Delhi: Minutes after being sworn in as the new Railway Minister, Trinamool Congress’ Mukul Roy said he would only speak in Parliament on whatever he had to say on rollback in passenger fare hike.
Roy was asked by reporters whether he would roll back the hike in passenger fares – the issue on which Dinesh Trivedi had to quit as Railway Minister.
TMC leader Sudip Bandopadhyay said the decision on rollback of fares was the prerogative of the Rail Minister.
A meeting of the Railway Board has already been called and it is believed that fare hike in Sleeper Class could be rolled back.
Roy meanwhile listed safety, security and adherence to timetable as his priorities.
Earlier, President Pratibha Patil administered the oath of office and secrecy to Roy in the presence of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, UPA chairperson Mamata Banerjee and other Cabinet ministers at the Ashoka Hall of Rashtrapati Bhawan.
Most of Trinamool Congress MPS were also present at the Rashtrapati Bhavan to witness the ceremony. Prior to taking over as Railway Minister, Roy was the minister of state for shipping.
Trivedi had to resign after TMC chief Mamata Banerjee opposed the hike in passenger fares announced by him in the Rail Budget presented to Parliament last week.
Banerjee had written to the Prime Minister that Trivedi should be replaced by Roy.
Trivedi sent his resignation to the PM on Sunday evening.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Hungary to build second fence on border with Serbia to keep out migrants
- Curfew in several areas of Kashmir ahead of planned march
- No ''tech traces'' of American University attack found: Pakistan to Afghanistan
- Intex unveils Cloud Tread smartphone for multi-taskers at Rs 4,999
- India vs West Indies, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, venue, TV listing, live streaming