Roy, the new Rail Minister, prefers low profile
Kolkata: Mukul Roy, Mamata Banerjee’s
trusted lieutenant, has been with the Trinamool Congress since
its founding, particularly during the party’s movements
against land acquisition at Singur and Nandigram, but has
always preferred keeping a low profile.
57-year-old Roy, who was not into politics initially, was
the non-executive director of the United Bank of India from
2002 to 2005.
He became a member of the Rajya Sabha from West Bengal in
April 2006 and in August the same year was appointed member of
the Committee on Urban Development as well as a member of the
Consultative Committee for the Ministry of Home Affairs.
In April 2008, he was appointed his party’s all India
general secretary and in May 2009 became Minister of State in
the Shipping Ministry.
When Mamata Banerjee resigned as the Railway Minister
after becoming Chief Minister of West Bengal, Roy was handed
additional charge of the Railway Ministry.
On July 11, 2011, when Prime Minister Manmohan Singh
directed Roy to visit the site of derailment of the Guwahati-
Puri Express in Assam, he openly defied him. He was relieved
of the Railway portfolio in a Cabinet reshuffle on July 12 the
Born on April 17, 1954 at Kanchrapara near Kolkata in
North 24 Parganas district to late Jugal Nath Roy and Rekha
Roy, he did his schooling at the Harneet High School at
Kanchrapara. He did his B.Sc (Part I) from Calcutta
He actively participated in drama, quiz and inter-school
science exhibitions during his student days and was a member
of the Bharat Scouts and Guides and regularly took part in
camps. He also served in various community development
projects including eradication of illiteracy, providing free
education for the poor and civil defence training.
Roy married Rekha on August 14, 1980 and has a son.
His favourite pastime is watching one-day cricket matches
and is also a huge fan of football and the Mohun Bagan Club.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'