Roy, the new Rail Minister, prefers low profile
Kolkata: Mukul Roy, Mamata Banerjee’s
trusted lieutenant, has been with the Trinamool Congress since
its founding, particularly during the party’s movements
against land acquisition at Singur and Nandigram, but has
always preferred keeping a low profile.
57-year-old Roy, who was not into politics initially, was
the non-executive director of the United Bank of India from
2002 to 2005.
He became a member of the Rajya Sabha from West Bengal in
April 2006 and in August the same year was appointed member of
the Committee on Urban Development as well as a member of the
Consultative Committee for the Ministry of Home Affairs.
In April 2008, he was appointed his party’s all India
general secretary and in May 2009 became Minister of State in
the Shipping Ministry.
When Mamata Banerjee resigned as the Railway Minister
after becoming Chief Minister of West Bengal, Roy was handed
additional charge of the Railway Ministry.
On July 11, 2011, when Prime Minister Manmohan Singh
directed Roy to visit the site of derailment of the Guwahati-
Puri Express in Assam, he openly defied him. He was relieved
of the Railway portfolio in a Cabinet reshuffle on July 12 the
Born on April 17, 1954 at Kanchrapara near Kolkata in
North 24 Parganas district to late Jugal Nath Roy and Rekha
Roy, he did his schooling at the Harneet High School at
Kanchrapara. He did his B.Sc (Part I) from Calcutta
He actively participated in drama, quiz and inter-school
science exhibitions during his student days and was a member
of the Bharat Scouts and Guides and regularly took part in
camps. He also served in various community development
projects including eradication of illiteracy, providing free
education for the poor and civil defence training.
Roy married Rekha on August 14, 1980 and has a son.
His favourite pastime is watching one-day cricket matches
and is also a huge fan of football and the Mohun Bagan Club.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- LIVE: Jallikattu Bill passed in Tamil Nadu Assembly; didn't use force on crowd, says Chennai Police Commissioner
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Karnataka: Baby with four legs, two male sex organs born in Raichur