Royal hoax call: Nurse blames DJs for death in note left behind
London: An Indian-origin nurse, who was found dead after a hoax call to a UK hospital treating Prince William`s pregnant wife Kate, left a note blaming the two Australian DJs behind the prank for her tragic death.
In one of the three apparent suicide notes left by 46-year-old Jacintha Saldanha, the nurse expressed her deep anger at the Australian radio DJs Mel Greig and Michael Christian and blamed them for her death, Daily Mail reported on Sunday, quoting sources close to her family.
Jacintha, a mum-of-two, was found hanging with a scarf at her staff accommodation at the King Edward VII`s Hospital in London, where 30-year-old Kate was being treated for severe morning sickness.
Within an hour of the hoax call, one of the DJs telephoned the hospital back and spoke to Jacintha again, telling her they had played a prank which they were about to broadcast, the report said.
The revelation is believed to have left Jacintha, who had no experience of dealing with the media, feeling confused and agitated, it said.
The DJs, who are believed to be at safe addresses following death threats, have apologised for the tragic repercussions of their prank.
The paper reported that in another note, Jacintha had criticised "aspects of the hospital staff," and singled out two individuals for blame.
Although the hospital has insisted that no senior member of staff blamed Jacintha for falling victim to the prank and provided her with support, it is understood she may have been reprimanded by colleagues by email, it said.
The hospital has declined to comment on the notes, saying senior staff have not seen copies. It is believed the original notes are now in the possession of Scotland Yard, which has produced transcripts for the family.
Sources close to the family said their relationship with
the hospital was strained as senior managers had not provided "facts" they requested.
Another friend of the family was quoted as saying that Jacintha may have tried to commit suicide more than once in the 72 hours between the prank and the moment her body with injury marks on one of her wrists was discovered by a colleague.
"She may have tried to kill herself more than once ? that`s why there are three notes," the friend told the paper.
In her final letter, Jacintha is believed to have asked to be buried in her home village of Shirwa, near Mangalore.
Relatives of Jacintha have spoken of their utter despair at her death and hit out at false internet speculation over the state of her marriage.
50-year-old Mabel, Jacintha`s eldest sister, told the daily from Mangalore that although her sister used to stay in the nurses` accommodation while on duty at the King Edward VII`s Hospital in Marylebone, she always kept in close touch with her husband and two teenage children -- a son and a daughter -- at home in Bristol.
"She would keep busy with her work, but she only stayed there for convenience and she called them all the time," Mabel said.
Mabel said the family had been so terrified of breaking the news to their frail 70-year-old mother Carmine, who has a heart condition, that they decided to tell her only that Jacintha had been taken ill and had then died peacefully.
"It was very difficult to break the news. She couldn`t take it. She was in shock and was just staring at us and then she started crying. Even today she is crying continuously."
Mabel said their younger sister, 44-year-old Gladys, a beautician, was also "totally broken" by the news.
Jacintha stood by Gladys after her husband died and even agreed to adopt her daughter Lisha, now 14, and brought her up as her own to ease the burden on her sister, who was financially weak.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Check uaresults.nic.in for Uttarakhand Board Class 12 result 2015