RPN Singh rubbishes charge of CBI being misused by Congress
Rampur: Dismissing claims that the Congress is misusing CBI to target its opponents, Minister of State for Home Affairs RPN Singh on Sunday said the central agency was impartial and even the ruling party leaders were not spared.
"It (CBI) is purely and completely impartial and does not entertain pressure from any influential person," Singh told reporters here.
The Congress leader said it was due to CBI`s "impartial" character that the party had "suffered immensely".
He said CBI sleuths picked up accused only after complete information regarding the wrongdoings of the person.
Singh`s defence comes in the backdrop of UP Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav`s recent attack against Congress, alleging that anybody who does not act according to its wishes faces "persecution" through CBI.
Asked on Union Minister Beni Prasad Verma`s attack on outside ally Samajwadi Party yesterday, Singh said, "any person is free to criticise the government`s functioning but launching of personal attack cannot be justified".
The minister, in reply to media questions regarding increasing crime against women, said in 96 percent of such cases it was found that victims and attackers were known to each other.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jharkhand: 2 dead, several injured in clashes between police, villagers in Ramgarh
- Delhi minister meets Jain monk over Vishal Dadlani tweet controversy
- One killed in annual bull racing in Peru
- 16-year-old Indian-origin boy finds cure for breast cancer treatment
- Heartbreaking! Denied medical help, 12-year-old UP boy dies on dad's shoulder
- 'Indo-US logistic pact is not agreement to set up bases'
- Defiant Rousseff says Brazil's democracy on trial with her
- Small group holding majority to ransom: Manohar Parrikar on Kashmir
- Alphabet executive steps down from Uber board amid growing competition
- Facebook CEO says group will not become a media company