Rs 10 lakh from MPLADS for assistance to physically challenged
New Delhi: Parliamentarians will soon be
allowed to spend up to Rs 10 lakh annually from the Member of
Parliament Local Area Development Scheme (MPLADS) for
providing assistance to the physically challenged.
According to a statement by the Ministry of Statistics
and Programme Implementation (MOSPI), the new provision will
come into effect from June 1.
"Government has received representations, requesting
that, Members of Parliament be allowed to spend some MPLADS
funds in assisting physically challenged people", it said.
"It is accordingly directed that henceforth MPs will be
allowed to spend a maximum of Rs 10 lakh per year, from their
MPLADS funds, for giving assistance to the physically
challenged," the statement said.
The Government had recently decided to increase the
annual entitlement under MPLADS from Rs 2 crore to Rs 5 crore.
"This necessitates a re-look at the entire gamut of
operational guidelines and modalities governing the
implementation of the MPLAD Scheme, in order to make them
simpler, more user friendly and to ensure that MPs can use the
annual fund, in a useful manner, to fulfil the urgent needs at
the grass root level in time every year," the statement said.
It said representations have been made arguing that
physically challenged persons face severe hardships and the
government`s policy is to take steps to ameliorate their
"The issue has been considered at length in this
Ministry. It is felt that it would be appropriate to allow
MPs, as public representatives, to spend some of their MPLADS
funds in assisting the physically handicapped in this country
towards a better life..," the MOSPI said.
Till now, as part of the MPLADS Guidelines, providing
assistance to individuals under the scheme is prohibited.
"After consideration, it has been decided that this
condition be relaxed in favour of physically challenged
persons only keeping in view the larger public good," the
For proper utilisation of funds, it has been decided
that such assistance be given only for the purchase of
tri-cycles and artificial limbs, for differently abled
Besides, directions have been issued that all
applications for such assistance will be examined and approved
by the Chief Medical Officers of districts to ensure proper
"The district authorities, under the District Collector/
Deputy Commissioner, will also be fully involved in the
selection of such eligible persons," it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez