Rs 12,000 cr additional funds for police force modernization
New Delhi: Government has decided to give over Rs 12,000 crore additional fund to the states for modernisation of police forces, including strengthening of security network in all major cities, in next five years.
The sanctioned amount of Rs 12,378 crore will be spent on strengthening security infrastructure, procuring high-tech communication gadgets, armoured vehicles and installing CCTV cameras.
The amount is nearly 20 per cent more than what the states had got during 2007-12 plan period. The proposal was approved by the Union Cabinet in its last meeting on February 7, a Home Ministry official said.
Nearly one-third (Rs 432 crore) of this fund will go to seven major cities - Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore, Hyderabad, Chennai, Kolkata and Ahmadabad - to be spent under `Mega City Policing` plan.
Procurement of modern equipments like GPS/GIS for dial 100 system and patrol cars, CCTV systems, vehicle scanner, vehicle number plate identification system, cyber patrol and communication monitoring system and integrated GIS based automated vehicle tracking and management system are part of the Mega City Policing plan.
The Modernisation of Police Forces (MPF) is a non-plan scheme where the Centre provides funds to all the states to improve mobility and procure weapons, communication systems and other equipments on share basis.
While Jammu and Kashmir and all northeastern states including Sikkim get 100 per cent assistance from the Centre, the remaining states get 75 per cent of the project funds from the central government on annual basis.
The mega city policing (MCP) - which was introduced by the Home Ministry under the MPF Scheme in 2005-06 - has also got nearly 20 per cent more funds in the 12th Five Year Plan period compared to previous plan periods.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt