Rs 12,000 cr additional funds for police force modernization
New Delhi: Government has decided to give over Rs 12,000 crore additional fund to the states for modernisation of police forces, including strengthening of security network in all major cities, in next five years.
The sanctioned amount of Rs 12,378 crore will be spent on strengthening security infrastructure, procuring high-tech communication gadgets, armoured vehicles and installing CCTV cameras.
The amount is nearly 20 per cent more than what the states had got during 2007-12 plan period. The proposal was approved by the Union Cabinet in its last meeting on February 7, a Home Ministry official said.
Nearly one-third (Rs 432 crore) of this fund will go to seven major cities - Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore, Hyderabad, Chennai, Kolkata and Ahmadabad - to be spent under `Mega City Policing` plan.
Procurement of modern equipments like GPS/GIS for dial 100 system and patrol cars, CCTV systems, vehicle scanner, vehicle number plate identification system, cyber patrol and communication monitoring system and integrated GIS based automated vehicle tracking and management system are part of the Mega City Policing plan.
The Modernisation of Police Forces (MPF) is a non-plan scheme where the Centre provides funds to all the states to improve mobility and procure weapons, communication systems and other equipments on share basis.
While Jammu and Kashmir and all northeastern states including Sikkim get 100 per cent assistance from the Centre, the remaining states get 75 per cent of the project funds from the central government on annual basis.
The mega city policing (MCP) - which was introduced by the Home Ministry under the MPF Scheme in 2005-06 - has also got nearly 20 per cent more funds in the 12th Five Year Plan period compared to previous plan periods.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez