Rs 12.41 cr fake notes seized till Sept: Govt
New Delhi: Counterfeit currency notes worth
Rs 12.41 crore were recovered and seized till the end of
September compared to Rs 25.79 crore in 2008, the Lok Sabha
was informed on Friday.
During the January-September period, as many as 3,29,981
counterfeit currency notes worth Rs 12.41 crore were recovered
and seized, Minister of State for Finance Namo Narain Meena
said in written reply to the Lower House, quoting the data
furnished by the National Crime Records Bureau (NCRB).
Out of this 1,64,252 fake notes were in the Rs 500
denomination, amounting to Rs 8.21 crore.
Meena further said that the RBI has informed that the
information on prosecution and conviction made bank-wise and
location-wise is not maintained. The NCRB has also stated that
this type of information is not available with them.
"The steps taken by the government to curb circulation of
fake currency notes include stepping up of vigilance by the
Border Security Force and Customs authorities to prevent
smuggling of fake notes," Meena said.
Besides, incorporation of latest security features is
underway to strengthen the security of bank notes further.
He further said a high level committee headed by the
Home Secretary and comprising the officials from central
agencies and other officials has also been constituted to monitor and draw
a comprehensive strategy to combat the fake currency menace.
In addition, the government has nominated the Central
Bureau of Investigation as the nodal agency to monitor
investigation into fake note cases.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!