Rs 12.41 cr fake notes seized till Sept: Govt
New Delhi: Counterfeit currency notes worth
Rs 12.41 crore were recovered and seized till the end of
September compared to Rs 25.79 crore in 2008, the Lok Sabha
was informed on Friday.
During the January-September period, as many as 3,29,981
counterfeit currency notes worth Rs 12.41 crore were recovered
and seized, Minister of State for Finance Namo Narain Meena
said in written reply to the Lower House, quoting the data
furnished by the National Crime Records Bureau (NCRB).
Out of this 1,64,252 fake notes were in the Rs 500
denomination, amounting to Rs 8.21 crore.
Meena further said that the RBI has informed that the
information on prosecution and conviction made bank-wise and
location-wise is not maintained. The NCRB has also stated that
this type of information is not available with them.
"The steps taken by the government to curb circulation of
fake currency notes include stepping up of vigilance by the
Border Security Force and Customs authorities to prevent
smuggling of fake notes," Meena said.
Besides, incorporation of latest security features is
underway to strengthen the security of bank notes further.
He further said a high level committee headed by the
Home Secretary and comprising the officials from central
agencies and other officials has also been constituted to monitor and draw
a comprehensive strategy to combat the fake currency menace.
In addition, the government has nominated the Central
Bureau of Investigation as the nodal agency to monitor
investigation into fake note cases.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH