Rs 195 crore package for renovation of `Char dham`
Dehradun: A Rs 195 crore-package was announced by the government on Friday for reconstruction of the `Char Dham` pilgrimage circuit, which was badly affected by the Uttarakhand rain disaster.
Tourism Minister K Chiranjeevi said the fund will be spent for renovation and reconstruction of the sacred pilgrimage sites of Kedarnath, Badrinath, Gangotri and Yamunotri, and its surrounding areas and the roads connecting it.
Chiranjeevi told reporters that the Uttarakhand government would utilise the fund according to its requirements.
`Char Dham` is an important Hindu pilgrimage circuit in the Himalayas located in the Garhwal region of Uttarakhand.
The circuit receives large number of visitors in an average pilgrimage season, which starts from last week of April till October-November.
The season is heaviest in the two-month period before the monsoon, which normally starts in July.
The June 15-16 rains and floods have affected the `Char Dham` circuit very badly, with the Kedarnath temple bearing the brunt of the disaster, leading to the death of many in the temple premises as well as its surrounding areas.
The `Char Dham` circuit roads continue to be snapped following the rains and floods.
- Akshay Kumar escapes scorching Mumbai heat with his ‘partner in crime’ – Here’s how
- Uttarakhand forest fire under control, no death so far: Rajnath Singh
- Donald Trump's presidency will 'lead to another 9/11': South Carolina Senator Lindsey Graham
- Ex-Australian priest John Joseph Farrell sentenced for child abuse
- Blasphemy case for 'desecrating' Sikh man's turban in Pakistan