Rs 195 crore package for renovation of `Char dham`
Dehradun: A Rs 195 crore-package was announced by the government on Friday for reconstruction of the `Char Dham` pilgrimage circuit, which was badly affected by the Uttarakhand rain disaster.
Tourism Minister K Chiranjeevi said the fund will be spent for renovation and reconstruction of the sacred pilgrimage sites of Kedarnath, Badrinath, Gangotri and Yamunotri, and its surrounding areas and the roads connecting it.
Chiranjeevi told reporters that the Uttarakhand government would utilise the fund according to its requirements.
`Char Dham` is an important Hindu pilgrimage circuit in the Himalayas located in the Garhwal region of Uttarakhand.
The circuit receives large number of visitors in an average pilgrimage season, which starts from last week of April till October-November.
The season is heaviest in the two-month period before the monsoon, which normally starts in July.
The June 15-16 rains and floods have affected the `Char Dham` circuit very badly, with the Kedarnath temple bearing the brunt of the disaster, leading to the death of many in the temple premises as well as its surrounding areas.
The `Char Dham` circuit roads continue to be snapped following the rains and floods.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends