Rs 2 crore bribe amount was interim payment for Singla
New Delhi: Rupees two crore alleged bribe amount agreed upon between the nephew of Railway Minister PK Bansal and Railway Board member Mahesh Kumar was for an interim arrangement allowing Kumar to keep additional charge of Western Railway till his new posting as Member (Electrical), CBI sources said.
Middleman Sandeep Goyal had allegedly promised Kumar to arrange the plum post of Member (Electrical) in Railway Board in return for promised Rs 10 crore, which needed time till the retirement of present members, the sources said.
Goyal was in touch with Singla and another middleman Ajay Garg to secure the posting of Kumar as Member (Electrical).
In the meanwhile, Kumar was appointed as Member (Staff) in the Board which is not seen a coveted posting in railway power circles, they said.
The sources alleged Kumar had approched Goyal for managing him the additional charge of General Manager, Western Railway and Signal and Telecommunication till he is appointed as Member (Electrical) which is considered the second most powerful post after the Board Chairman.
Goyal allegedly demanded Rs two crore as bribe immediately for this intermin arrangement and said the balance of Rs 10 crore for his appointment to the post of Member (Electrical) may be paid later, they said.
CBI alleged Kumar had approached Managing Director of Bangalore-based GG Tronics India Pvt Ltd Narayan Rao Manjunath and other businessmen and industrialists dealing with the railway work for making payment in return for the promised favours from him, the sources said.
Manjunath could only arrange Rs 90 lakh of the promised Rs two crore, which he passed on to Goyal and Singla through delivery persons arranged by his Delhi-based confidante.
CBI arrested the four accused for their alleged roles in
the bribe case in which a deal of Rs 10 crore was finalised between them for fixing a top level position in the Railway Board.
Seeking five-day custody of the accused, CBI prosecutor Akshay Gautam said it had received information that one accused Narain Rao Manjunath, Managing Director of G G Tronics India Pvt Ltd, was in regular contact with accused Mahesh Kumar who was trying to get himself appointed to a more lucrative post in Railway Board as Member (Electrical).
Mahesh Kumar, who was GM (West) Railways, had been promoted as Member (Staff) in Railway Board and he was trying to get himself posted as Member (Electrical) in Railway Board, it said.
It said Manjunath and Mahesh Kumar were also in regular touch with businessman Goyal for this purpose. Goyal had assured Mahesh Kumar that he will get him posted as Member (Electrical) in Railway Board in lieu of "pecuniary gratification."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!