Rs 200 cr contract for Sindhu Rakshak salvage given to US firm
Mumbai: Six months after the fire on submarine INS Sindhu Rakshak here, the salvage operation will finally begin with the Ministry of Defence signing a contract with an American firm.
"The MoD has signed a contract with the Indian arm of Resolve Salvage and Fire Limited for Rs 200 crore," said a defence source.
On August 14 last year there was an explosion on the Russian-made Kilo-class submarine. Eighteen Navy personnel, including three officers, were onboard during the incident.
Till now only 11 bodies have been found.
Source added that it will take around six months to complete the salvaging process.
"Resolve Salvage was picked from amongst seven internationals firms which bid," added the source.
The firm is currently moving its equipment and experts to berth at the Mumbai Naval Dockyard where Sindhu Rakshak was anchored at the time of mishap, after which diving operations will be undertaken and salvage plan will be decided.
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- IMF sees emerging market innovations as 'crankiness' of Governor: Raghuram Rajan
- Strengthen ties with India to counter China, Obama administration told
- Burkina bans officials from accepting gifts over $60
- Controversy in the making: Centre asks Urdu writers not to write anti-national content
- Iran starts voting in parliament election run-offs