Rs 2,302.41 cr lying unspent under MPLAD scheme: Govt
New Delhi: As much as Rs 2,302.41 crore was reported to be lying unspent with district authorities under MPLAD scheme as on March 31 this year, the government has said.
"As on March 31, 2013, an amount of Rs 2,302.41 crore was reported to be lying unspent with district authorities (under MPLAD scheme during 15th Lok Sabha period)," Statistics Minister Srikant Kumar Jena said in written reply to Lok Sabha on Thursday.
According to the statement by the minister, the total entitlement of the constituencies was Rs 7,630 crore and against that government released Rs 6,182 crore till March 31, 2013 under the Member of Parliament Local Area Development (MPLAD) scheme.
It further revealed the total amount available with the authorities including interest on the date was 6,400.69 crore.
The district authorities incurred an expenditure of Rs 4,098.28 crore during the said period in the the 15th Lok Sabha. Development works worth Rs 5,586.98 crore were sanctioned during the period, as per the statement of the Minister.
Under the MPLAD scheme, each MP has the choice to suggest to the District Collector for works to the tune of Rs five crore per annum to be taken up in his or her constituency.
The Member of Parliament from Rajya Sabha can recommend works in one or more districts in the state from where he or she has been elected.
The nominated MPs of both the Houses may select any one or more districts from any one state in the country for implementation of their choice of work under the scheme.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Parrikar hits out at Nawaz Sharif, says India doesn't need advice about troops in Siachen
- Prefer to ignore what Nawaz Sharif said at UN, says Manohar Parrikar
- Congressmen tie pigeon inside rocket to welcome their leader – A must watch for Rahul Gandhi
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'