Rs 2,302.41 cr lying unspent under MPLAD scheme: Govt
New Delhi: As much as Rs 2,302.41 crore was reported to be lying unspent with district authorities under MPLAD scheme as on March 31 this year, the government has said.
"As on March 31, 2013, an amount of Rs 2,302.41 crore was reported to be lying unspent with district authorities (under MPLAD scheme during 15th Lok Sabha period)," Statistics Minister Srikant Kumar Jena said in written reply to Lok Sabha on Thursday.
According to the statement by the minister, the total entitlement of the constituencies was Rs 7,630 crore and against that government released Rs 6,182 crore till March 31, 2013 under the Member of Parliament Local Area Development (MPLAD) scheme.
It further revealed the total amount available with the authorities including interest on the date was 6,400.69 crore.
The district authorities incurred an expenditure of Rs 4,098.28 crore during the said period in the the 15th Lok Sabha. Development works worth Rs 5,586.98 crore were sanctioned during the period, as per the statement of the Minister.
Under the MPLAD scheme, each MP has the choice to suggest to the District Collector for works to the tune of Rs five crore per annum to be taken up in his or her constituency.
The Member of Parliament from Rajya Sabha can recommend works in one or more districts in the state from where he or she has been elected.
The nominated MPs of both the Houses may select any one or more districts from any one state in the country for implementation of their choice of work under the scheme.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre