Rs 2,490 cr tax-exemption given to political parties in 5 years
New Delhi: Ten main political parties of the country had a whopping Rs 2,490 crore of tax-exempted income in the last five years, according to information from the Income Tax department through an RTI plea.
Of this the ruling Congress and the main Opposition party BJP have cornered more than 80 per cent.
The figures of political parties` income in this period received under the RTI does not include the donations or income below Rs 20,000 and hence a large number of small individual donations are not incorporated into it.
The Congress had a tax-exempted income to the tune of Rs 1385.36 crore, more than double of the BJP, which recorded a tax-exempted income of Rs 682 crore in the period between 2007-08 to 2011-12.
BJP ally JDU`s tax free income in this period except the year 2008-09 has been Rs 15.51 crore.
BSP recorded an income of Rs 147.18 crore in three financial years 2007-08, 08-09 and 11-12. The party filed incomplete return in 2009-10 and had no tax-exempted income in 2010-11.
Sharad Pawar`s NCP had a tax-exempted income of Rs 141.34 crore in the five years from 2007 to 2012.
According to the information from the IT department, CPI-M recorded an income of Rs 85.61 crore in four years in this period while it had nill income in 2008-09.
CPI`s income in two financial years 2008-09 and 2009-10 is pegged at Rs 28.47 crore.
JD(S) had an earning of Rs 7.16 crore in two financial years of 2009-10 while Ram Vilas Paswan`s LJP had a tax-exempted earning of Rs 2.55 crore in four years from 2007 to 2011.
Lalu Prasad`s RJD earned Rs 2.85 crore in three years from 2008 to 2011.
The information came through a petition filed by Hisar based RTI activist Ramesh Verma before the Income Tax department.
Political parties are exempted from tax on their income through section 13 A of IT Act 1961. They have to, however, maintain a book of account for donations or income above Rs 20,000.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey