Rs 380 crore Ponzi scamster Abhay Gandhi arrested
Ahmedabad: The detection of crime branch (DCB) landed one of its biggest catches of recent years when it nabbed the Ponzi scamster, Abhay Gandhi, from Ahmedabad airport in the wee hours of Saturday. Gandhi is accused of cheating thousands of people through a Ponzi scam that had allegedly netted him Rs 380 crore.
Police said that they had been able to apprehend Gandhi because of a tip-off that he would be travelling to Ahmedabad from Mumbai on Saturday. However, there was a rumour that Gandhi had actually surrendered to the police but this could not be confirmed from independent sources.
Of the eight people accused in connection with Gandhi’s scam, seven had been arrested earlier. Only Gandhi was still absconding.
Considered by the police as one of the sharpest criminals they had dealt with in recent times, Gandhi had allegedly made Rs 380 crore from fraudulent schemes which had cheated thousands of ordinary people of their hard-earned money.
Sources in the police said that, in a way, Gandhi was the kingpin of all Ponzi scamsters. Some other Ponzi racketeers of the city had also invested money in his fraudulent schemes.
However, Abhay Gandhi, who landed in police custody on Saturday, appeared a defeated man — tired, afraid and, of course, pleading innocence.
Preliminary investigation by the police has revealed that while absconding Gandhi had hidden in different Asian countries, including Sri Lanka, Malaysia, Thailand and Bangkok. However, before leaving India for foreign countries, he had stayed in Chennai for some days, the police said. Talking to a daily, deputy commissioner of police, DCB Himanshu Shukla, said that Gandhi was aware that he could get into serious trouble if caught even before the Ponzi schemes came to light.
“For this reason, he had quietly slipped away to Chennai before the first complaint against him was filed. After that he had gone to Sri Lanka,” Shukla said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- British tourist masturbated at in Mumbai; Indian men apologise
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now