Rs 6 cr pending as electricity, water dues on MPs
New Delhi: Over Rs six crore in bills are
pending as electricity and water charges on serving and former
parliamentarians, some of them even dead, with the maximum of
Rs 42 lakh pending on former Congress MP late A B A Ghani Khan
Chaudhury, an RTI reply has revealed.
The reply from New Delhi Municipal Corporation (NDMC) has
over 3,335 entries of pending water and electricity dues
against MPs which total to over Rs 6.27 crore.
The list includes present and former members of Lok Sabha
and Rajya Sabha with some prominent leaders like former Prime
Ministers Chaudhary Charan Singh and P V Narsimha Rao, former
ministers Rajesh Pilot, Sunil Dutt and stalwarts like
Janeshwar Mishra, Chaturanan Mishra and Chaudhury among others
who are no more.
Chaudhury`s name had also figured with the highest dues
towards phone bills of over Rs 34 lakh.
The information provided to RTI activist Subhash Agrawal
by NDMC also has names of former Prime Minister H D Deve
Gowda, senior BJP leader L K Advani, former Rajya Sabha member
Subramanian Swamy`s in the list of pending dues.
During the hearing of a PIL on the issue, the Lok Sabha
Secretariat had informed the Delhi High Court in 2008 that
dues from an MP are recovered by deducting amounts from their
salary and pension.
But, it had added, in several case the dues are huge and
it would take long time to recover the entire amount.
State-run telecom company MTNL had also pointed out that
it was facing difficulty in recovering dues from MPs and
former lawmakers as they tend to file petitions in different
parts of the country against the recovery process.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- LIVE: Jallikattu protests turn violent, vehicles near Ice House Police station set on fire
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP