RS adjourned briefly in absence of Jayanthi Natarajan
New Delhi: In an embarrassment to the
government, absence of Congress member Jayanthi Natarajan to
second the Motion of Thanks to the President for her address
to Parliament forced adjournment of the Rajya Sabha half an
hour before the scheduled lunch break.
As soon as Janardan Dwivedi, initiator of the discussion
on the Motion, completed his speech, Deputy Chairman K Rahman
Khan called for the seconder.
But Natarajan was not present in the House and it was
pointed out to the Chair by opposition.
Much to the embarrassment of the government, Khan
adjourned the House. Prime Minister Manmohan Singh was
Later, Natarajan, who is also party spokesperson, told
reporters that she had come out briefly to give reaction on
the Godhra verdict. She immediately went to the Chairman and
apologised to him.
When the House reassembled at 1400 hours, Natarajan said
she was extremely sorry that the House had to be adjourned
because of her absence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohammad Kaif takes a subtle dig at Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad after he hit Air India official with slippers