RS adjourned briefly in absence of Jayanthi Natarajan
New Delhi: In an embarrassment to the
government, absence of Congress member Jayanthi Natarajan to
second the Motion of Thanks to the President for her address
to Parliament forced adjournment of the Rajya Sabha half an
hour before the scheduled lunch break.
As soon as Janardan Dwivedi, initiator of the discussion
on the Motion, completed his speech, Deputy Chairman K Rahman
Khan called for the seconder.
But Natarajan was not present in the House and it was
pointed out to the Chair by opposition.
Much to the embarrassment of the government, Khan
adjourned the House. Prime Minister Manmohan Singh was
Later, Natarajan, who is also party spokesperson, told
reporters that she had come out briefly to give reaction on
the Godhra verdict. She immediately went to the Chairman and
apologised to him.
When the House reassembled at 1400 hours, Natarajan said
she was extremely sorry that the House had to be adjourned
because of her absence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them