RS adjourned briefly in absence of Jayanthi Natarajan
New Delhi: In an embarrassment to the
government, absence of Congress member Jayanthi Natarajan to
second the Motion of Thanks to the President for her address
to Parliament forced adjournment of the Rajya Sabha half an
hour before the scheduled lunch break.
As soon as Janardan Dwivedi, initiator of the discussion
on the Motion, completed his speech, Deputy Chairman K Rahman
Khan called for the seconder.
But Natarajan was not present in the House and it was
pointed out to the Chair by opposition.
Much to the embarrassment of the government, Khan
adjourned the House. Prime Minister Manmohan Singh was
Later, Natarajan, who is also party spokesperson, told
reporters that she had come out briefly to give reaction on
the Godhra verdict. She immediately went to the Chairman and
apologised to him.
When the House reassembled at 1400 hours, Natarajan said
she was extremely sorry that the House had to be adjourned
because of her absence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Watch: Hafiz Saeed warns India of more terror attacks
- DNA: Army declares all soldiers in Siachen avalanche dead
- DNA: Indian Navy set to conduct International Fleet Review 2016
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Ten Army soldiers missing in Siachen avalanche presumed dead; PM Modi 'salutes' martyrs
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Deepika Padukone's first shot from 'XXX 3' revealed! See pic
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report