RS adjourned till noon amid uproar
New Delhi: Rajya Sabha was adjourned till noon after uproar over BSP`s demand to bring in a Constitution amendment bill for reservation in promotion of SCs and STs in government jobs and BJP seeking discussion on black money.
As soon as the House met for the day, BSP supremo Mayawati said the government had promised during in the last session to call an all-party meeting to discuss quota in promotion for SC and ST persons, but the meeting did not take place.
She pointed out that a discussion had taken place in the House and there was almost unanimity among all parties on it.
Mayawati urged Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, who was present, to bring in a Constitution amendment bill on the issue during the ongoing Monsoon session.
She threatened that BSP will not allow the House to function if the issue is not resolved.
As she spoke, other BSP members were on their feet and the House witnessed some angry exchanges between BSP and Congress members.
Ram Vilas Paswan (LJP), D Raja (CPI), Sitaram Yechuri (CPI-M) and some other members too spoke.
Minister of State in the PMO V Narayanasamy said the Prime Minister will call an all-party meeting "this session itself ...(and) the issue will be resolved."
This did not satisfy the BSP and the party members trooped in the Well raising anti-government slogans.
Amid the ongoing din, Shanta Kumar (BJP) said his party has given a notice for discussion on black money and pointed out that Yoga guru Ramdev has started a fresh agitation.
Ravi Shankar Prasad (BJP) also pressed for discussion on black money.
As the uproar continued, Chairman Hamid Ansari adjourned the House till noon.
Earlier, on the occasion of 70th anniversary of Quit India Movement, the House paid homage to martyrs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Five nations pull out of SAARC Summit to express solidarity with India over Uri attack
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof