RS adjourned twice after uproar over Bofors issue
New Delhi: Rajya Sabha Thursday witnessed two adjournments in the pre-noon session after uproar by Opposition BJP and AIADMK over a former Swedish police chief`s allegation that payoffs were made in purchase of Bofors guns during the then Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi`s tenure.
BJP and AIADMK members displayed copies of a newspaper interview given by Swedish police chief Sten Lindstrom where he said Gandhi did nothing to prevent the cover-up to protect Italian businessman Ottavio Quattrocchi, who is alleged to have received pay-offs in the case.
Chairman Hamid Ansari said the Question Hour will not be suspended and asked members to resume their places.
"Please allow Question Hour to proceed... The Question Hour cannot be suspended," he said and took up the first listed question of the day.
But as the opposition members were unrelenting, he adjourned the House for 15 minutes.
When the House met again, similar scenes were repeated with BJP members shouting slogans, "Quattrocchi ko kis ney bachaya (Who saved Quattrocchi)".
Ansari repeatedly asked the members to take their seats and raise the issue during Zero Hour.
"Please sit down. Allow Question Hour to proceed. Raise the issue at 1200 hours," he pleaded with the agitated members.
Every time BJP members shouted "Who saved Quattrocchi", ruling Congress members joined the chorus shouting "BJP ney bachaya (BJP saved him)".
Mani Shankar Aiyar (Cong) said Leader of the Opposition Arun Jaitely was the Additional Solicitor General who had done paper work in the Bofors investigation case.
Ravi Shankar Prasad (BJP) said very serious questions have been raised by the former Swiss police chief while his party members continued shouting slogans.
Amid din, Ansari adjourned the House till noon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA