RS adjourned twice on Assam violence, other issues
New Delhi: Rajya Sabha was on Wednesday adjourned twice on issues of Assam violence and alleged desecration of BR Ambedkar`s statues in Uttar Pradesh with BSP supremo Mayawati condemning "humiliation" to the architect of Indian Constitution and other dalit icons in the SP-ruled state.
Soon after the House met for the day heralding the start of the Monsoon session, BSP vociferously raised the issue of insult to dalit icons and stormed the well forcing an adjournment till noon even as the opposition raised the issue of Assam violence.
When the House reassembled, members from AGP and BJP demanded an immediate discussion on the Assam violence, but P J Kurien, who was in the Chair, promised that the issue will be taken up after the Zero Hour mentions.
Mayawati drew the attention of the House towards the alleged desecration of statues of BR Ambedkar in Uttar Pradesh and renaming or closing of welfare schemes in the name on dalit icons.
"From time to time, great saints and gurus have been born among dalits and other backward sections of society...They are being humiliated in the country`s largest state of Uttar Pradesh under the Samajwadi Party regime," she said.
"People having faith and reverence in Ambedkar are upset with the kind of humiliation meted out to him by the SP government...The statues of Ambedkar are being broken...Law and order situation is bad in the state," she said.
Before she could complete, the opposition members trooped into the Well demanding an immediate discussion on the Assam issue.
Members from SP and BSP, who earlier had a heated exchange of words over Mayawati`s allegations, also entered the Well forcing the Chair to adjourn the House till 2 PM.
BSP members chanted "Baba Saheb ka apmaan nahin sahenge, nahin sahenge".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram on July 30