RS Chairman drops punitive proceedings against 5 BSP members
New Delhi: Rajya Sabha Chairman Hamid Ansari today dropped punitive proceedings against five BSP members who had yesterday created ruckus in the House after the party led by its chief Mayawati strongly opposed the move.
"I emphasise Rule 255 has not been invoked," Ansari announced in the House after protest by BSP members for naming Brajesh Pathak, Veer Singh, Ambeth Rajan, Avtar Singh Karimpuri and Munquad Ali in the House Bulletin.
The Bulletin read that the members were named "due to gross disorderly conduct in violation of rules and etiquette of Rajya Sabha" as they entered the `Well` of the House and persistently and willfully obstructed the proceedings.
While seeking to pacify Mayawati and her party colleagues, Ansari said the Bulletin only shows proceedings of the House.
Under Rule 255, "The Chairman may direct any member whose conduct is in his opinion grossly disorderly to withdraw immediately from the Council and any member so ordered to withdraw shall do so forthwith and shall absent himself during the remainder of the day`s meeting."
Mayawati rose to protest as soon as the House met for the day, arguing for her party colleagues who wanted to raise the issue of law and order situation in Uttar Pradesh yesterday.
Agitated BSP members then stormed the Well, forcing adjournment of the House for 10 minutes.
When the House reassembled, Leader of the Opposition Ghulam Nabi Azad said members have only been named and asked the Chair not to go ahead in this regard by invoking Rule 255.
Leader of the House and Finance Minister Arun Jaitley too agreed with Azad saying the Leader of Opposition has given a "reasonable suggestion".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH