RS denies Jaya Bachchan complained about TV coverage
New Delhi: The Rajya Sabha Secretariat on Wednesday dismissed reports that Jaya Bachchan has filed a complaint that House cameras focussed on her when cine star Rekha took oath as member yesterday.
However, it sought to wash its hands off the issue of the coverage yesterday saying live coverage of proceedings continue to be undertaken by Doordarshan and not Rajya Sabha Television.
"The news reports are factually incorrect," the Rajya Sabha Secretariate said in a press release after television channels carried reports that Bachchan has complained to Chairman Hamid Ansari regarding "certain aspects of the coverage of the proceedings of the House".
The release said Bachchan has written to Chairman, Committee on Government Assurances with a copy to the Secretary General on matters pertaining to assurances given on the floor of the House.
However, the release noted that the live coverage of the proceedings of the Rajya Sabha continued to be undertaken by Doordarshan as this function is yet to be transferred to the newly-established Rajya Sabha television.
MoS Parliamentary Affairs Rajiv Shukla told reporters that some MPs had complained to the Chairman in this regard.
The media had played up the oath-taking event against the backdrop of the perceived rivalry between the two film stars of the 70s and 80s.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH
- I may not be with CM Akhilesh Yadav, but will always be with Mulayam Singh Yadav's son: Amar Singh