RS denies Jaya Bachchan complained about TV coverage
New Delhi: The Rajya Sabha Secretariat on Wednesday dismissed reports that Jaya Bachchan has filed a complaint that House cameras focussed on her when cine star Rekha took oath as member yesterday.
However, it sought to wash its hands off the issue of the coverage yesterday saying live coverage of proceedings continue to be undertaken by Doordarshan and not Rajya Sabha Television.
"The news reports are factually incorrect," the Rajya Sabha Secretariate said in a press release after television channels carried reports that Bachchan has complained to Chairman Hamid Ansari regarding "certain aspects of the coverage of the proceedings of the House".
The release said Bachchan has written to Chairman, Committee on Government Assurances with a copy to the Secretary General on matters pertaining to assurances given on the floor of the House.
However, the release noted that the live coverage of the proceedings of the Rajya Sabha continued to be undertaken by Doordarshan as this function is yet to be transferred to the newly-established Rajya Sabha television.
MoS Parliamentary Affairs Rajiv Shukla told reporters that some MPs had complained to the Chairman in this regard.
The media had played up the oath-taking event against the backdrop of the perceived rivalry between the two film stars of the 70s and 80s.
- Ahead of PM Modi's US visit, USCIRF report says 'intolerance has risen in India'
- Gold price eyes $1,300 again as weaker dollar, fund inflows support
- Kerala law student raped, murdered at home: Read chilling details of post-mortem report here
- On Umar Akmal, Ahmed Shehzad's sacking: Shahid Afridi welcomes PCB's move to give chance to youngsters
- Kangana Ranaut – Hrithik Roshan controversy: Let’s not have a gender war, says Shekhar Suman