RS polls: Jethmalani, Mallya win; BJP bags 5 seats
New Delhi: Noted lawyer Ram Jethmalani,
Union minister Anand Sharma, liquor baron Vijay Mallya and
LJP supremo Ram Vilas Paswan were elected today to the Rajya
Sabha as biennial polls for 18 seats saw a candidate of the
Congress and an independent backed by it biting the dust.
The BJP finished on top bagging five seats followed by
the Congress four as the Biju Janata Dal made a clean sweep in
Orissa garnering all the three Upper House berths.
The JD (U) got two seats and the JMM, RJD and LJP one
Contrary to speculation that he might face trouble from
a section of BJP MLAs who were opposed to his candidature,
87-year-old Jethmalani won on 41 first preference votes in
Rajasthan. The other party candidate V P Singh also got 41
Anand Sharma and other Congress nominee Ashk Ali Tak
got 51 first preference votes each.
However, Congress-backed Independent Santosh Bagrodia,
a former Union minister, was humbled by a huge margin in
Rajasthan securing only 11 votes against 41 first preference
votes needed for victory.
In Karnataka, ruling BJP virtually joined hands with
estranged coalition partner JD(S) to help independent nominee
Mallya win the election and defeat one of the candidates of
Mallya, who had entered the fray with the backing of 27
JD-S MLAs and an independent, won after BJP transferred all
its 120 second preference votes.
BJP`s M Venkaiah Naidu and Ayanur Manjunath were also
declared elected along with former Union minister and Congress
leader Oscar Fernandes.
The Congress which gambled on contesting the second
seat by fielding senior leader T V Maruthi, despite being
fully aware of its lack of strength, suffered a loss of face.
The lone independent nominee, Bangalore-based businessman
B G Uday whose entry prompted the contest, polled just two
In Bihar, Paswan and senior BJP leader Rajiv Pratap
Rudy were among the five candidates who emerged triumphant.
Others who won were Upendra Kushwaha and R C P Singh,
both JD-U, and Ram Kripal Yadav (RJD).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH