RS polls: Nominations of eight candidates accepted
Chennai: The nominations of eight candidates, including DMK`s Kanimozhi and CPI`s D Raja, for the June 27 biennial elections to six Rajya Sabha seats from Tamil Nadu, were on Tuesday accepted after scrutiny.
Other accepted nominations were that of AIADMK candidates KR Arjunan, R Lakshmanan, K Thangamuthu, V Maitreyan and T Rathnavel and DMDK`s AR Elangovan, Returning Officer and Tamil Nadu Assembly Secretary A M P Jamaludeen said in a release.
The nominations of five Independent candidates were rejected since they did not comply with the rules.
The last day for withdrawal of nominations is June 20.
Elections, if needed, would be conducted between 9 AM and 4 PM on June 27, he added.
The elections seem headed for a contest following main opposition party DMDK led by actor-turned- politician Vijaykanth entering the fray on the last day of filing nominations yesterday.
Chief Minister Jayalalithaa had yesterday agreed to withdraw the candidature of Thangamuthu who was nominated for the fifth seat, in favour of CPI`s Raja after he called on her seeking support.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you