RS polls: Nominations of eight candidates accepted
Chennai: The nominations of eight candidates, including DMK`s Kanimozhi and CPI`s D Raja, for the June 27 biennial elections to six Rajya Sabha seats from Tamil Nadu, were on Tuesday accepted after scrutiny.
Other accepted nominations were that of AIADMK candidates KR Arjunan, R Lakshmanan, K Thangamuthu, V Maitreyan and T Rathnavel and DMDK`s AR Elangovan, Returning Officer and Tamil Nadu Assembly Secretary A M P Jamaludeen said in a release.
The nominations of five Independent candidates were rejected since they did not comply with the rules.
The last day for withdrawal of nominations is June 20.
Elections, if needed, would be conducted between 9 AM and 4 PM on June 27, he added.
The elections seem headed for a contest following main opposition party DMDK led by actor-turned- politician Vijaykanth entering the fray on the last day of filing nominations yesterday.
Chief Minister Jayalalithaa had yesterday agreed to withdraw the candidature of Thangamuthu who was nominated for the fifth seat, in favour of CPI`s Raja after he called on her seeking support.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened