RS polls: Nominations of eight candidates accepted
Chennai: The nominations of eight candidates, including DMK`s Kanimozhi and CPI`s D Raja, for the June 27 biennial elections to six Rajya Sabha seats from Tamil Nadu, were on Tuesday accepted after scrutiny.
Other accepted nominations were that of AIADMK candidates KR Arjunan, R Lakshmanan, K Thangamuthu, V Maitreyan and T Rathnavel and DMDK`s AR Elangovan, Returning Officer and Tamil Nadu Assembly Secretary A M P Jamaludeen said in a release.
The nominations of five Independent candidates were rejected since they did not comply with the rules.
The last day for withdrawal of nominations is June 20.
Elections, if needed, would be conducted between 9 AM and 4 PM on June 27, he added.
The elections seem headed for a contest following main opposition party DMDK led by actor-turned- politician Vijaykanth entering the fray on the last day of filing nominations yesterday.
Chief Minister Jayalalithaa had yesterday agreed to withdraw the candidature of Thangamuthu who was nominated for the fifth seat, in favour of CPI`s Raja after he called on her seeking support.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley?
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part II
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part III
- DNA: Minor burnt three puppies to death in Hyderabad
- DNA: Today in History, July 21, 2016
- Two UAE women reunite with Indian mother after 28 years
- Dalit youth beaten, urinated upon in Bihar, says FIR
- Lok Sabha Speaker calls Bhagwant Mann video of Parliament security 'serious', hints action is coming
- Himachal sees 26 percent deficit rainfall
- Actors singing is a very good trend: Ayushmann Khurrana