RS polls: Nominations of eight candidates accepted
Chennai: The nominations of eight candidates, including DMK`s Kanimozhi and CPI`s D Raja, for the June 27 biennial elections to six Rajya Sabha seats from Tamil Nadu, were on Tuesday accepted after scrutiny.
Other accepted nominations were that of AIADMK candidates KR Arjunan, R Lakshmanan, K Thangamuthu, V Maitreyan and T Rathnavel and DMDK`s AR Elangovan, Returning Officer and Tamil Nadu Assembly Secretary A M P Jamaludeen said in a release.
The nominations of five Independent candidates were rejected since they did not comply with the rules.
The last day for withdrawal of nominations is June 20.
Elections, if needed, would be conducted between 9 AM and 4 PM on June 27, he added.
The elections seem headed for a contest following main opposition party DMDK led by actor-turned- politician Vijaykanth entering the fray on the last day of filing nominations yesterday.
Chief Minister Jayalalithaa had yesterday agreed to withdraw the candidature of Thangamuthu who was nominated for the fifth seat, in favour of CPI`s Raja after he called on her seeking support.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India
- Vladimir Putin rages as Turkey shoots down Russian plane
- I was shivering while interviewing Nirbhaya's friend, says Ramnath Goenka awardee Sudhir Chaudhary
- If India was intolerant, then Kiran Rao wouldn't have married Aamir Khan: Baba Ramdev
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan