RS polls: Nominations of eight candidates accepted
Chennai: The nominations of eight candidates, including DMK`s Kanimozhi and CPI`s D Raja, for the June 27 biennial elections to six Rajya Sabha seats from Tamil Nadu, were on Tuesday accepted after scrutiny.
Other accepted nominations were that of AIADMK candidates KR Arjunan, R Lakshmanan, K Thangamuthu, V Maitreyan and T Rathnavel and DMDK`s AR Elangovan, Returning Officer and Tamil Nadu Assembly Secretary A M P Jamaludeen said in a release.
The nominations of five Independent candidates were rejected since they did not comply with the rules.
The last day for withdrawal of nominations is June 20.
Elections, if needed, would be conducted between 9 AM and 4 PM on June 27, he added.
The elections seem headed for a contest following main opposition party DMDK led by actor-turned- politician Vijaykanth entering the fray on the last day of filing nominations yesterday.
Chief Minister Jayalalithaa had yesterday agreed to withdraw the candidature of Thangamuthu who was nominated for the fifth seat, in favour of CPI`s Raja after he called on her seeking support.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Italy mourns quake victims, death toll rises to 291
- Kriti Sanon can't wait to watch 'MS Dhoni - The Untold Story'
- Indian women's hockey stars humiliated, made to sit on floor of train on way back home from Rio
- Donald Trump vows 'tracking system' to deport everyone whose visa expires
- Rockets fired at Turkey's Diyarbakir airport