RS polls: Three candidates from MP file nominations
Bhopal: BJP candidates for Rajya Sabha
election from Madhya Pradesh -- Chandan Mitra and Anil Madhav
Dave and Congress nominee Vijay Laxmi Sadho -- filed their
nomination today, the last day to file the papers.
The election to Rajya Sabha is scheduled to be held on
Mitra and Dave, accompanied by the Leader of Opposition
in Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj, Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister
Shivraj Singh Chouhan, BJP state unit chief Prabhat Jha and
other leaders, filed two sets of papers each in the office of
the returning officer A K Payasi in the state Assembly.
Sadho, accompanied by Leader of Opposition in state
Assembly Jamuna Devi, her deputy Rakesh Singh Chaturvedi,
state Congress president Suresh Pachouri and others filed her
papers for the biennial elections to the Upper House of the
With only three candidates filing their papers, the
polling is unlikely to take place given that Mitra, Dave and
Sadho will be elected unopposed on June 17.
The scrutiny and withdrawal of nomination papers will
take place on June 8 and June 10 respectively.
The 230-member Madhya Pradesh Assembly has 144 BJP
members followed by Congress (69), BSP (7), Bharatiya Jan
Shakti Party (5), SP (1) and three Independents.
A seat in the Assembly was vacant after Congress MLA from
Sonkacha constituency Sajjan Singh Verma resigned after
winning the Dewas Lok Sabha seat.
Two members, Dave and S Pherunavukkarsar will retire on
June 29, while another member of the Upper House of Parliament
Pyarelal Khandelwal died.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31