RS polls: Three candidates from MP file nominations
Bhopal: BJP candidates for Rajya Sabha
election from Madhya Pradesh -- Chandan Mitra and Anil Madhav
Dave and Congress nominee Vijay Laxmi Sadho -- filed their
nomination today, the last day to file the papers.
The election to Rajya Sabha is scheduled to be held on
Mitra and Dave, accompanied by the Leader of Opposition
in Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj, Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister
Shivraj Singh Chouhan, BJP state unit chief Prabhat Jha and
other leaders, filed two sets of papers each in the office of
the returning officer A K Payasi in the state Assembly.
Sadho, accompanied by Leader of Opposition in state
Assembly Jamuna Devi, her deputy Rakesh Singh Chaturvedi,
state Congress president Suresh Pachouri and others filed her
papers for the biennial elections to the Upper House of the
With only three candidates filing their papers, the
polling is unlikely to take place given that Mitra, Dave and
Sadho will be elected unopposed on June 17.
The scrutiny and withdrawal of nomination papers will
take place on June 8 and June 10 respectively.
The 230-member Madhya Pradesh Assembly has 144 BJP
members followed by Congress (69), BSP (7), Bharatiya Jan
Shakti Party (5), SP (1) and three Independents.
A seat in the Assembly was vacant after Congress MLA from
Sonkacha constituency Sajjan Singh Verma resigned after
winning the Dewas Lok Sabha seat.
Two members, Dave and S Pherunavukkarsar will retire on
June 29, while another member of the Upper House of Parliament
Pyarelal Khandelwal died.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- WOAH! Cristiano Ronaldo opens own 'CR7' hotel, gives name to airport
- Usain Bolt eases to victory, Kendra Harrison hurdles to glory
- Oil dives 2%, heads for weekly loss as US rigs rise
- German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at Munich shopping mall; police say he acted alone
- Body unnoticed in Australian fast-food outlet for days