RS proceedings disrupted briefly on saffron terror issue
New Delhi: Proceedings in the Rajya Sabha were disrupted briefly Thursday when LJP leader Ram Vilas Paswan demanded suspension of Question Hour to discuss the issue of rise in saffron terror in the country.
As soon as the House met for the day, Paswan stood up and wanted to know the fate of his notice for suspension of Question Hour to discuss the rise in saffron terror as pointed
out by Home Minister P Chidambaram.
At a conference of chiefs of police forces yesterday, Chidambaram had said a new phenomenon of "saffron terrorism" involved in many bomb blasts has been uncovered.
Paswan was vociferously countered by BJP members who termed him as communal and said that he was indulging in cheap politics for the sake of votes with an eye on the forthcoming Assembly elections in Bihar.
Chairman Hamid Ansari said the Question Hour will not be suspended and asked the members to take their seat.
"Please don`t disturb the House. Nothing is going on record," Ansari said as noisy scenes prevailed with Paswan and his RJD colleague Rajniti Prasad shouting at the BJP while
raising the issue.
As the decibel increased, Ansari told Paswan, "You are a senior member. It is not becoming (of you). Please allow questions to be answered. This is not going on record. Your effort is being wasted."
Paswan said he should be given an opportunity to raise the issue during Zero Hour, to which Ansari said there was no Zero Hour today.
"You are wasting your breath," the Chairman told Paswan.
M Venkaiah Naidu (BJP) said Paswan was indulging in cheap politics.
But, soon afterwards order was restored and the day`s listed agenda taken up.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’