Rs14cr as interim compensation for AI crash victims
New Delhi: Air India today said it has paid
over Rs 14 crore as interim compensation to the next of kin of
those killed as well as those injured in the May 22 air crash
158 persons, including all the six crew members, aboard
the Air India Express flight IX-812, were killed when the
Boeing 737-800 aircraft from Dubai overshot the runway and
plunged into a ravine. Eight passengers had survived the
Of them, three injured were still in hospitals and the
The airline said all bodies recovered from the accident
site had been returned to the relatives and a mass burial was
carried out for the 12 bodies which could not be identified.
Interim compensation of Rs 14.06 crore has been paid by
Air India as on June 11 for 159 passengers, including those
injured, an official spokesperson said.
The payment for one remaining passenger is yet to be made
as the next of kin were based in Dubai and certain formalities
were still required to be carried out, she said.
This compensation was paid at the rate of Rs 2 lakh to
each survivor, Rs 5 lakh for every deceased child and Rs 10
lakh each for every deceased adult.
In addition, Air India facilitated the payment of Rs 3.06
crores as compensation from Prime Minister`s Relief Fund. An
amount of Rs 2 lakh each was paid to the 151 death cases from
the Fund and Rs 50,000 each given to the 8 survivors.
Meanwhile, the US firm, Kenyon International, has
commenced work at the Mangalore crash site and was carrying
out disinfection, cleansing and identifying the personal
effects of the deceased, the spokesperson said.
The `Angels of Air India`, a specially trained
humanitarian assistance team drawn from different sections of
Air India employees, continued supporting the family members
and survivors and providing other logistic support, including
ensuring issuance of death certificates and carrying out other
formalities, she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31