RSP veteran Abani Roy resigns from party
New Delhi: Under attack from party
colleagues for his writing letters to Prime Minister Manmohan
Singh on issues and dispute involving big corporate houses,
veteran Revolutionary Socialist Party (RSP) leader Abani Roy
has resigned from primary membership of the outfit.
However, the party is yet to decide whether to accept the
resignation of 70-year-old Roy, a Rajya Sabha member, who has
been associated with RSP for half a century, party sources
Roy tendered his resignation from the party on July
15, two days after he had written a letter to the Prime
Minister opposing the merger between Bharti Telecom with South
African telecom major MTN alleging it was a threat to India`s
Roy had also written a letter to the PM on the dispute
between the Ambani brothers--Anil and Mukesh.
Roy`s party colleagues have gone on record protesting
his writing the letters on corporate issues.
Taking umbrage to this, Roy, in his resignation letter
to RSP general secretary P J Chandrachoodan, said that
"instead of conveying their protests through national dailies,
the party should have seen the letters first from me and could
have taken follow-up action, if any including disciplinary
action against me".
Referring to his resignation letter, Roy said that
"I have given the letter and the party will take a final
He wondered how come his resignation letter reached the
media even before a decision has been taken on it.
Roy, the RSP leader from West Bengal, has been a member
of Rajya Sabha since 1998. His association with the party
dates back to 1959 and has been involved in activities of the
party`s frontal wings, including the trade union UTUC, and the
RSP is a constituent of ruling Left Front in West
Bengal and Kerala.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks