RSP veteran Abani Roy resigns from party
New Delhi: Under attack from party
colleagues for his writing letters to Prime Minister Manmohan
Singh on issues and dispute involving big corporate houses,
veteran Revolutionary Socialist Party (RSP) leader Abani Roy
has resigned from primary membership of the outfit.
However, the party is yet to decide whether to accept the
resignation of 70-year-old Roy, a Rajya Sabha member, who has
been associated with RSP for half a century, party sources
Roy tendered his resignation from the party on July
15, two days after he had written a letter to the Prime
Minister opposing the merger between Bharti Telecom with South
African telecom major MTN alleging it was a threat to India`s
Roy had also written a letter to the PM on the dispute
between the Ambani brothers--Anil and Mukesh.
Roy`s party colleagues have gone on record protesting
his writing the letters on corporate issues.
Taking umbrage to this, Roy, in his resignation letter
to RSP general secretary P J Chandrachoodan, said that
"instead of conveying their protests through national dailies,
the party should have seen the letters first from me and could
have taken follow-up action, if any including disciplinary
action against me".
Referring to his resignation letter, Roy said that
"I have given the letter and the party will take a final
He wondered how come his resignation letter reached the
media even before a decision has been taken on it.
Roy, the RSP leader from West Bengal, has been a member
of Rajya Sabha since 1998. His association with the party
dates back to 1959 and has been involved in activities of the
party`s frontal wings, including the trade union UTUC, and the
RSP is a constituent of ruling Left Front in West
Bengal and Kerala.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery