RSS chief calls for introspection on Northeast policy
New Delhi: Calling for introspection on the "neglect" of Northeast region, Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) chief Mohan Bhagwat on Sunday said the nation knows that the region exists, but fails to realise that it`s a part of the country.
"The problem exists within us. We know that Northeast exists, but we fail to realise that it`s a part of Indian territory. The Northeasterns have not forgotten that they belong to India and are its integral part. It`s upon us to realise that the land and the people belong to us," Bhagwat said.
He was speaking at an award function here of an RSS affiliated NGO, working in Northeast.
He said there should be change in the attitude towards the people of Northeast India. He also stressed that the behaviour towards Northeastern students studying in different parts of the country should be more comforting and cordial.=
"The Northeast students leave their land on the assumption that at least the country and the countrymen are known to them. To help them adjust in a better way and make them feel at home, they should be treated in a way that comforts them," Bhagwat said.
Taking the onus on the development in the Northeast he said, "The condition of the rest of India is better than the Northeast. And it`s our duty to work for the development of the Northeast. The Northeast has been neglected, and it`s futile to find out why Northeast was neglected, the onus is on us to find a solution and work on it."
Later, when asked about the arrest of self-styled godman Asaram Bapu, Bhagwat refused to comment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read